drill etc sharpeners?

Any recommendation for a drill (also possibly including chisel & plane blad e) sharpener.

google came up with 4 options:

Clarke CMPS1 Multipurpose Sharpening Tool c.£45 Silverline silverstorm 929856 multipurpose sharpener 65W £35 Silverline silverstorm 127569 drill bit sharpener 70W £29 Terratek highspeed multi function/purpose sharpening m/c 96W £22

Please, any experience of these? Or alternatives to consider?

TIA

Reply to
jim

google came up with 4 options:

Clarke CMPS1 Multipurpose Sharpening Tool c.?45 Silverline silverstorm 929856 multipurpose sharpener 65W ?35 Silverline silverstorm 127569 drill bit sharpener 70W ?29 Terratek highspeed multi function/purpose sharpening m/c 96W ?22

Please, any experience of these? Or alternatives to consider?

TIA

Not sure about the tools themselves just don't buy the Clarkes from Machine Mart who are a main stockist and maybe cheapest at ?41.99 if at all possible

On here last year -

or other tales of woe

michael adams

michael adams

I only glanced at the Clarke one and perhaps the others are similar. It rem inds me very much of a Plasplugs machine I and several male family members were each bought, one Xmas, about 15 or 20 years ago. Drill bit "tool" was somewhat handy for getting the angle correct, but left a pretty low grade f inish. All the other parts designed for knife, scissors, chisel etc were ju st rubbish. Easier with a whetstone or a grinding wheel attachment for the drill.

Regards.

Terry.

Reply to
terry.shitcrumbs

Surely drill bets are cheap enough to throw away when worn?

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Fine if you have plenty spares.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You think drills are sharp when you buy 'em? They ain't bad but they ain't sharp.

I've got a Martek sharpener, bought at a county show maybe 30 years ago. Does a very good job though you need to be gentle with smaller sizes not to bend them and end up with a off center tip. That's how I found out new drills aren't sharp sharp...

Seem to be on e-bay but where you'd get replacement grinding wheels, if required, from I don't know. It may have come with a stone dressing tool?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

for small bits i use one of these and it also does Masonry and wood bits

check the feedback on the ones you listed on Amazon ;(

-
Reply to
Mark

That looks very handy. Thanks for the link.

Reply to
Bert Coules

None of the drill sharpeners I've seen are much good for small drills. Perhaps smaller than 5mm.

I'd pay good money for one that was - not because I don't have plenty spares, but to have a really sharp drill which most aren't 'out of the box'. But it would have to be a self contained unit - not something that uses an electric drill for power.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

i have fixed mine to a plinth with an old B&D mains drill permanently and solidly attached it may look a bit Heath Robinson but does work extremely well particularly on small 3-6mm HSS and Masonry bits larger sizes i can still see well enough to sharpen on a bench grinder.

-
Reply to
Mark

bench grinder for drills, flat diamond thing for planes.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not if you have a lot of them and would need to replace every time. Ten seconds on a grinder does the job.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon