Dri master condensation unit?

> That is where the quotation came from.

They said we could not have cavity wall insulation because we had to deal with the condensation first.

They said we would have to have a loan under the green deal.

They said they wouldpass us on to a company in our area who was authorised to do work under the green deal ( thats where this dri master started)

They said we could have three AAA tripple glazed windows as the deal.

We could have a boiler ( cant!)

We could have loft insultation ( got it)

But not cavity wall insulation as it was not available to us and it wouldnt suit because of the condensation..

This was that calculator thing that could determine if you were saving enough to be " green" My estimation of playing with that is hardly anyone can match the criteria for " saving enough" unless they a) have one bath a week ( only one if two of you - then its one bath a fortnight!)

b) have a dishwasher but only use it twice a week

c) wash clothes once a week.

d) dry everything elsewhere ( outside or dont wash if it rains).

..... I have cut almost everythintg to this for the condensation anyway ,what we areleft with is breathing.

"

Its not practical is it? OH wont pay the bills and I am not sure we could afford them. So I guess the answer is open the windows and live in the cold?

Reply to
sweetheart

The only condensation is in the kitchen. I cured the bathroom

Reply to
sweetheart

You have hit the nail on the head. OH lost his job and we have to live like " pensioners"

Reply to
sweetheart

In message , sweetheart writes

Vent axia and many others do a *heat recovery* ventilation system.

Basically warm moist air is extracted by fan through a heat exchanger matrix. Fresh air from outside follows a different route through the matrix and picks up *some* of the heat from your outgoing air.

The maximum heat recovery is around 60%.

The down side is the installation cost and some noise. Cooling the outgoing air leads to condensation within the unit which may need a drain to waste.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

>>> That is where the quotation came from.

I forgot to add they also told us we could have draught proofing ( and yet you all tell me its lack of ventilation that causes the problem - so just make sure we have even less ventilation then? So much for the energy trust.

They also told us to get a water meter - and frankly, even SWW told us a water meter would not save us anything on that.

Reply to
sweetheart

It does seem a very odd thing for them to say!

Any surface upon which moisture condenses is due to the fact that the surface is cold. Make the surface warmer, or the air drier and it will not condense out on the wall.

A damp atmosphere in a home will make it feel colder than if it were dry.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Given your frugal lifestyle, a water meter will probably save you a fortune. But I guess that's just another piece of advice you will ignore.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

So was it the EST who said you "cannot have" CWI or was it just this private company who said they don't do it? Have you tried finding other companies that DO do CWI under the "green deal".

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I don't know anything about "Drimaster" but it sounds like you what you rea= lly need is some insulation. This doesn't have to be horribly expensive or= complicated as there are products such as clear insulating film and insula= ting paint available on the market.

You might be interested by checking out this ressource which explains thing= s like how to do your own home energy audit, understand how air circulates = in a house and how to make inexpensive and efficient improvements yourself:=

regards,

Anne-Marie

Reply to
anne.beignatborde

There is a difference between draughts which are uncontrolled and ventilation which is controlled. You new windows should have trickle ventilators to compensate to some extent for their better sealing - I assume you have probably closed these.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Good ventilation is a world away from drafts. Ventilation is provided where it needs to be, drafts just left in cold air and hot air out wily nily.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Tim Lamb submitted this idea :

I cannot see how a passive recovery system can (even in theory) manage better than 50%.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

"Man at B&Q" wrote in

Given your frugal lifestyle, a water meter will probably save you a fortune. But I guess that's just another piece of advice you will ignore.

Frugal it maybe but I have little choice. I would hate to feelthat I dare not use water if I wanted to because that too had to be read daily and cut down when it went up a penny over what OH decided was allowed ( or above what they energy trust says is your carbon footprint).

Let someone else save the bloody planet as far as I am concerned. So, if you dont mind,I will not take your advice.

Reply to
sweetheart

Well, we havent got any draughts anyway. That was done by my predecessor years ago.

Reply to
sweetheart

So was it the EST who said you "cannot have" CWI or was it just this private company who said they don't do it? Have you tried finding other companies that DO do CWI under the "green deal".

It works like this: a) I went to the energy saving trust who gave me advice and said that therewere a few partical grants going for " early birds" who signed up for the green deal ahead of time. Beyond that the bloke at their centre was pretty useless and clueless.

I was passed by him to CCC. CCC told me that I would have to register an interest. The web site they sent me to did ( in fairness ) say that cavity wall insulation was available but it asked you to tick a list. We have condensation and the web site said that beforewe could apply for CWI we would have to fix the condensation! ( OH thought that having CWI would " fix" the condensation - hence we (he) were ( was) willing to shellout).

We got a referral. The green deal is sent to accredited private firms. They called and told OH what they had to offer ...... you cant have what they do not offer!

They offered everything from this dri master to glaxing and back but when OH said we didnt have gas or oil and they couldnt fit what they were offering, they asked him what he was looking for.He said CWI - they said they didnt do that one.

So we are not able to have CWI . No one locally seems to be accredited to do it at the moment ( btw - the green deal isn't in yet, we pre registered and thats how we came to be called up)

Reply to
sweetheart

You might be interested by checking out this ressource which explains things like how to do your own home energy audit, understand how air circulates in a house and how to make inexpensive and efficient improvements yourself:

I was wondering if there might be some way of insulating the wall without CWI ( since we seem to not be able to get that) I will look at the site.

Reply to
sweetheart

Oh an infinitely long tube can reach 100%...:-0)

60% is really pretty good. Diminishing returns and all that.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You don't get a choice . They refer you to the firm that is selected for your area. EST told me there was one firm I would be referred to.

Reply to
sweetheart

Internal insulation, maybe 50mm of Celotex, with a vapour barrier of plastic sheeting on the exposed (interior) side? Insulating plasterboard on studs next time you replaster the wall?

The book linked to by our gmail using friend is American, and apparently contains advice on things like better insulation on your hot water cylinder than a fibreglass jacket. Well, yes, a decent new one with built in insulation would be that answer. And reducing your lighting bill without using those "new fangled" CFLs. You'd be better served listening on here than spending $27 on an American publication with no preview of its contents, I'd say.

Reply to
John Williamson

If I remember correctly, you are still employed - tell him it's _your_ money you are spending on heating your home. You might also suggest that constant damp isn't good for the structure of the building or its contents (human contents included), and 'saving' money by skimping on heat, could actually be more expensive in the long run.

Reply to
S Viemeister