Calor Gas Regulator freezing up.

I bought a Calor Gas Greenhouse heater last year.No mention of the regulator in the instructions.Bottle is outside as I believe the regs state. Didnt have much trouble with it then but this year I found that when I needed the heater the regulator wouldnt pass any gas through in the freezing weather. A kettle of boiling water and a sharp tap with a spanner got it going. Got pissed off with that and brought a new regulator and found out from the instructions that, if outside, it must be protected from water. (There is a vent hole in the top). Covered it with a plastic bag and cable ties. Still got trouble and have to take a kettle of boiling water out every evening to light it. Anyone got any bright ideas on how to permanently keep the regulator working?

Merryterry

Reply to
Merryterry

Are you using Butane or Propane, Butane below about 10c will not gas off, you need propane in cold weather.

Reply to
Corporal Jones

Butane or propane?

Reply to
Huge

eater last year.No mention of the

Its Propane, (Calor) in the Orange Bottle

Reply to
Merryterry

heater last year.No mention of the

Had the new one got wet before it froze up?

If so, I would be inclined to take it inside and properly dry it, then make sure the vent hole in it is facing down when you re-fit it, and cover it.

what sort of temperature is it where you are when this happens?

Reply to
Toby

Follow the instructions and keep water out?

Stuffing it in a plastic bag tied up with cable ties will just lead to condensation in the bag. You need something loose and ventilated, maybe an upturned plastic box placed over the top, might need to tie it down to stop it blowing away and something to lift it clear of the top of the regulator.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

[snip]

May I suggest that there is probably some relationship between these two statements? Continuing to pour boiling water over the regulator seems to guarantee that you will have problems with it.

FWIW we have propane here for our domestic gas supply. I've never had a problem with the regulator freezing, but I'm not inclined to go throwing boiling water over the regulator. The regulator is shielded from the worst of the elements being located under the eaves of an outbuilding.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I did cover the vent hole and inverted the regulator before I poured boiling water over it. I am beginning to think that the flexible diagragm, presumably a type of rubber, inside gets too stiff in the cold weather and doesnt operate properly. I have covered the whole top of the regulator and top of the cylinder with a large plant pot with a load of Bubble Wrap inside. Still OK this morning but...............

Reply to
Merryterry