DreamLiner and Li-ion

So still grossly overpaid on average.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

They also don't like the heat apparently.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Lots of unemployed youth in out own country. We could tell them it's new video game, get these planes on the ground safely to claim your benefits.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

So would you care to enlighten us ?

Reply to
fred

Had you bothered to read the followups, you'd already know.

Reply to
Huge

So you think flying a small plane is akin to flying a jumbo ?

Reply to
fred

Would you like to explain what convoluted thought process makes you draw that conclusion from what I wrote?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

No. Flying a jumbo is more like flying a sailplane.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well this thread is getting rather long so I assumed you were referring to = the comment re pilots being useless baggage etc.

While automated systems may take a lot of the spade work out of flying mode= rm large passenger aircraft a fully trained skilled pilot actually flies th= e thing. O/K traversing the Atlantic is essentially auto pilot stuff its th= e take off /landing, planning etc. that require a lot of input. No they don= 't land themselves, a common mis-conception.

The following may give some insight

fred

comment re pilots being useless baggage etc.

large passenger aircraft a fully trained skilled pilot actually flies the thing.

/landing, planning etc. that require a lot of input.

Actually a lot of modern airliners do land themselves From the wiki page on Instrument landing systems

In contrast to other operations, CAT III weather minima do not provide sufficient visual references to allow a manual landing to be made. The minima only permit the pilot to decide if the aircraft will land in the touchdown zone (basically CAT III A) and to ensure safety during rollout (basically CAT III B). Therefore an automatic landing system is mandatory to perform Category III operations. Its reliability must be sufficient to control the aircraft to touchdown in CAT III A operations and through rollout to a safe taxi speed in CAT III B

There are a of of generalisations on this thread - what applies to one aircraft does not apply to all of them.

It has often been said (tongue only slightly in cheek) that modern passenger aircraft can be operated by one man and a dog. The man to feed the dog and the dog to make sure the man doesn't touch the computers.

Reply to
news

Bien, merci, et... ah. Wrong overlay. I would have preferred it in English, but the practice does me good :)

That's pretty clear it was pilot error. Too low power setting, too late.

Thanks

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Well, there's got to be a good reason why the airlines used to hire all the fighter pilots, not just the bomber boys. And why they think it's fine to do /ab/ /initio/ training on a light single.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Power setting was correct for the maneouvre during the fly by, but when he became aware of a problem, the pilot applied TOGA power a couple of seconds too late for the engines to spool up in time to make enough thrust to lift the plane above the height of the trees.

Still, it was pilot error, and the report partly blames his over confidence, as he had performed this maneouvre a number of times in the past, with complete success.

Is it time for the saying about old pilots, bold pilots and old, bold, pilots?

Reply to
John Williamson

wtf are you on about ? Fighter pilots? Bomber boys ? WWII ? Could we have some supporting evidence for these claims.

Reply to
fred

the comment re pilots being useless baggage etc.

moderm large passenger aircraft a fully trained skilled pilot actually flies the thing.

/landing, planning etc. that require a lot of input.

Well I'm afraid in my book word from an actual real pilot beats a wiki quote any day

Reply to
fred

What like that maniac Yank airforce pilot doing a turn on a sixpence at an airshow or something, banking too steep and stalling the thing at

100ft, you mean?
Reply to
Tim Streater

This one .. the long version, the actual crash is at the end but you can see some of the antics that lead to it 'tho...

One of the first things I had drummed into me was "thou shalt not fly low and slow" but this guy added sideways for extra effect!...

tony sayer

It took a LONG time for carrier based jets to become accepted, for that very reason. No instant throttle response for a go-around.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

and look at the wings bending as he pulls the G..must have tip stalled it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Pilots earning their money:

Bob Martin