DreamLiner and Li-ion

I'd like to see him in his hot pants..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

Or septics

The only time I have experienced europeans clapping after landing (on a scheduled flight) was on a Lufthansa flight from Nuernberg to heathrow on the 15th October 1987

hint - the date is significant

Reply to
geoff

What's the female equivalent of that funny feeling in your testicles when you suddenly look down from a great height?

Reply to
geoff

I recall a book called 'Star-Raker' by somebody Gordon. The APU whined too much in that one.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Plane came in sideways, did it?

Reply to
Tim Streater

From what a pilot I knew, who did his hours building flying in Colombia, said about the aircraft he flew and the number of mountains around the airports, I am surprised they don't kiss the tarmac when they get out.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I can't believe how many people are prepared to put their lives on the line and fly. They use computers, right? We know how stable they can be. They fly by wire, right? Insanity. Still, as they prepare to hit the deck at least they can say "bloody clever innit".

Reply to
brass monkey

In message , brass monkey writes

Yes but they're not Windows computers.

Reply to
bert

In message , Tim Streater writes

Certainly the scariest landing I've experienced

Reply to
geoff

So? I believe they use 3 computers, 1 polls the other 2 as to their accuracy. Who writes the bugs? Fly? YMBFJ.

Reply to
brass monkey

The old Hong Kong Airport, Kai-Tak, was like that. Descend looking out the window at the runway, do a sudden turn on final approach, wave at people higher than you sitting at their office desks, and on touchdown FULL BRAKES and REVERSE THRUST, and see only water under the wing as you swing around to head back to the terminal. There are some in the Virgin Islands that have similar heart-stopping runways.

Reply to
Davey

I interviewed once at a company that made the engines (~100 hp) that started the APUs (turbines) that power the aircraft when on the ground.

Reply to
Davey

Looks like fun....

Tim+

In message , brass monkey writes

When I worked in avionics, I remember that main computers were 3 x different processors with different s/ware teams programming each.

Were one to fail, the other two systems should agree

Reply to
geoff

Septics, or sceptics? Mind you, the former might have been relevant. If that was the date of the Hurricane, I flew in from the US that morning. We had no idea of any problems, except our baggage took an hour to get to us, then the bus driver to the hire car place told me about bad weather overnight, and I then drove round the M25 at 70 mph with no hindrance, but the radio was telling me about all this chaos, that I could not see. My first actual problem was that there was a tree across my road when I got home.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

That would look good on the Spare Parts List!

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

In message , brass monkey writes

You believe right, grasshopper

each programmed by different software teams

They have teams of buggers for that

Reply to
geoff

In message , Davey writes

I'm not talking canvas with merry sailors singing sea shanties here

"We set off from plymouth on friday the 13th With a way hey, bring the landing gear down ..."

Reply to
geoff

My wife taught BaE employees how to program.

She won't go on an Airbus.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Davey writes