DreamLiner and Li-ion

People can misread that as saying "you are much less likely to die in an airflight than if you stayed at home instead" but that's not what it says.

You could equally well say that the reduction in life expectancy from swallowing nails is much less than from hammering nails. That's because most people don't swallow nails. It doesn't tell you that swallowing a nail is safer than hammering it.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Yes, I also wondered about that. But given the option, I would go for the gravity thing.

--=20 Davey,

Reply to
Davey

I definitely clapped after ending up 6 feet from the end of the Guernsey runway after a roller coaster ride in a force 7 crosswind.

I always applaud real skill.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's safer to belly land than to land on partially locked gear. If the gear partially collapses after landing, it gets very nasty, very quickly. With no gear down, the behaviour of the aircraft is predictable to a degree.

Reply to
John Williamson

I understand it's common in Russia.

Reply to
S Viemeister

On Friday 18 January 2013 16:51 Davey wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That just gives me this mental image:

Strangelove - Major Kong manually releases the A Bomb from the plane which deploys with him sitting on it)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Another case of trial by media IMHO. I am fairly sure that Boeing and the regulators were well aware of the risks. When you take design into new territory, sometimes things go wrong. Think of the Comet, the carbon fibre fan blades on the RB211, Deepwater Horizon. While the chauvinist in me would like Airbus to succeed over Boeing, we all benefit in the long run from innovative engineering.

Reply to
newshound

And in the case where all the engines fail at once. Yes, it does happen:

- the 747 around Indonesia and the volcanic ash

- the Gimli Glider

Reply to
Bob Eager

I see Speedbird 9 (747 around Indonesia) actually had a working generator despite all four thrust engines being out.

Reply to
polygonum

I encounter it a lot in Latin America too.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

That is the sort of thing that justifies paying airline pilots lots of money to be good at their jobs.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You should read 'Fate is the hunter'..by Ernest K Gann..

somewhere there is a quote that says that for 364 days and 23 hours an airline pilot is grossly overpaid. In the other hour he is worth ten times his salary..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Given the condition of Russian aeroplanes, that's little surprise. The victims^Wpassengers are just glad to have got to their destination alive.

It (applause on landing) used to be common in the States, but seems to have died out.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Fairly standard in Italy.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, I was talking about engine failure specifically.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

Dread to think of the outcome if drivel were driving his Prius when .. Woosh

Reply to
geoff

" ... and one chicken korma for the monkey"

Reply to
geoff

Put sails on them and let the wind do the rest

Reply to
geoff

In message , tim..... writes

I would doubt it, that's what the APU is for - the thing normally placed in the tailplane that makes that high pitched whine while you are boarding

Reply to
geoff

Saves the weight of the cranking handle ...

Reply to
geoff