Drayton Digistat SCR receiver not working

I've got a Drayton Digistat SCR that's stopped working, meaning I can't turn my heating on. The transmitter (a 2RF) is fine and it has new batteries. The fault seems to lie with the receiver, which has no lights coming on at all. After a bit of searching online, I've tried turning the boiler off at the switch, then turning it back on again with the two buttons on the receiver held down - but still nothing at all from the receiver. I also noticed some info about how it can sometimes just need a replacement capacitor - but that seems to be when there's a green light on somewhere, but the light's not blinking. An engineer has suggested it will be around £100 plus labour to replace the whole wireless system, so if anyone here can help set me straight on what the problem is and how I might fix it for less than that, I'll be eternally grateful! Many thanks, David

Reply to
deebee

Not much to go on there is there? Could be any number of things from the description. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It is the receiver. There are 2 mini relays inside it which fail with some regularity IME. The receiver is available separately, but the cost is very similar to a new one, so I'd just go and buy a different new one from Plumbcenter, their own re-branded Honeywell ones are fine at £60ish.

Reply to
Alan

There is a capacitor in the receiver that fails regularly. They are availab le for around £3 on eBay and if you can solder it is worth a shot. eBa y item 262868932910 is typical and has full instructions in the description . It fixed mine when it had the same symptoms as yours

John

Reply to
JohnW

JohnW was thinking very hard :

The same item can be had much cheaper if you search Ebay..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 17:14:01 GMT, deebee coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

David, receivers of this type usually use a simple power supply technique called the capacitive wattless dropper. The central component, and the one that often fails in this arrangement is usually a blue or white cuboid with markings that say something like X2 275v AC and a value in uF. If you can't identify such a component post a picture on a photo on Flickr or equivalent and post a link to this thread.

Unfortunately you are posting via Homeownershub which gives you the illusion that this Usenet newsgroup is their web forum, this is far from the truth, and from experience we know there is a high probability that we won't hear from you again, so we are probebly wasting our time.

On the offchance you aer still with us and if you really must use the Web to access this newsgroup, can you follow this link and use Google Groups instead?

Thanks.

Reply to
Graham.

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 21:03:30 +0100, Harry Bloomfield coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

That will teach me for not reading the thread first, I hadn't seen JohnW's post and that listing.

Cheapest I could find was 361477088582 at £1.92, but it's worth the extra quid for the useful info the other seller gives his buyers.

Reply to
Graham.