Dowsing

FWIW, I've played with metal dowsing rods. A statement that they cannot me moved by the person holding them is umm, bullshit. I could get them to cross and uncross at will, however even when crossing a known aquifer they gave no result at all.

As expected in fact.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Complete and utter nonsense. But thanks for making me laugh!

;-)

Reply to
Tony Polson

I'm not interested in "proving" anything one way or the other. The technique worked well for me. It made finding buried services faster and cheaper than any alternative method, and that is all that matters.

It isn't a panacea; you won't find everything that's underground and it doesn't tell you what you have found. But it is cheap and quick, and tells you where to dig, and that makes it invaluable.

Reply to
Tony Polson

Where did you learn to talk such complete and utter nonsense?

(Rhetorical question - reply neither needed or sought)

Reply to
Tony Polson

I have never used it to find water and remain very sceptical that you can find water using this method. However it finds underground cables and pipes with surprising accuracy and ease. That is an objective report based on my own experience, and from a background of personal scepticism.

If you choose to believe it doesn't work, that is up to you. I don't believe or disbelieve anything about why it should or shouldn't work; I judge it on the evidence that it *does* work, and very well too.

Reply to
Tony Polson

Funny how you started with a preconceived idea, then set out to "prove" it. No surprise that you got *exactly* the results you wished for, by moving the rods deliberately!

Very "scientific"!

;-)

Reply to
Tony Polson

You must have known that before ... it's a well known fact.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Are they?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So what moves the rods then?

Reply to
none

What stops the person holding the rods from moving them?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yet all you have is anecdote.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No, I started with a prior claim and tried to disprove it.

The claims were:

That the rods cannot be moved by the operator. This was disproved immediately. In fact it's a pice of cake to move the rods manually all it takes is a fraction of a rotation of the wrist to cause the rods to cross. This with the rods held in the recommended grip or ven when the rods were supported in sleeve bearings in order to stop them being rotated by movements of the fingers.

That the rods cross when crossing an aquifer. Also shown to be untrue. When crossing over a known aquifer there was no response. I did not ow know where the aquifer was, so not much opportunity for me to cheat.

That the rods would cross over unknown metallic objects such as (in this case) a 4in cast iron pipe. Again I had no idea where it was.

Are you really the dumbass you wish to appear to be?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I had forgotten. It is several years since I visited uk.d-i-y.

But I have now restored the idjit to my kill file.

;-)

Reply to
Tony Polson

Actually, they aren't. But the truth wouldn't be a good basis for an ignorant rant, so a lie will have to do instead.

;-)

Reply to
Tony Polson

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Quite often. Though they're getting better at using ground-radar and the like to find them again. Old survey and installation data is often of dubious quality even if it exists at all.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Steve Firth contains these words:

I'm beginning to suspect he's not only very dim but also a troll.

Reply to
Guy King

You will never know.

Reply to
Tony Polson

Where is the force emitted from ?

In a double blind testing scenario it can't be demonstrated. Therefore it does not work.

Efforts to argue by qualification suggest you've lost your way. Even so, even extremely clever people can be misled. Arthur Conan Doyle and the fairies at the bottom of the garden springs to mind ?

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

If it is nonsense, then prove it. Fix the rods in some way that prevents your hands from moving them, and try divining with that.

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

Right, that is my point: why make up pie-in-sky explanations that use some psuedo scientific terms that sound plausible to anyone who does not know the first thing about 'electromagnetic forces'? If it works for you, fine, but trust me - at the end of the day *you* are moving those rods because *you* are holding them and *you* are balancing them and *you* are in full control of them. You may think that is funny, but I can prove it (though you have already stated you are not interested in learning more of the truth about it, so we will have to leave it there).

If there was some external force pushing these things, then don't you think it would have been exploited by now? Free energy and all that. Would someone not have made a device for measuring this force and using it to tell what is underground? Yes, electromagnetic waves *are* exploited to look underground - radar is, as we speak, looking deep into Venus and other moons in the solar system. The mechanisms are very different though. They don't involve forces strong enough to push a pair of bent metal coat hangers (unlike, say, muscles in an arm).

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason