Dowsing

I don't think the brain has anything to do with it. You just hold the rods horizontally out in front of you. If they cross, that indicates something is below the rods.

You cannot make them cross. They just do it themselves. There is no input from the user, other than to hold the rods so that they can respond to whatever it is that makes them cross.

Reply to
Tony Polson

Oh no, please. This is not Narnia or Xanth and inanimate objects do not move themselves!

Reply to
Gully Foyle

Manifestly not, those without a brain believe that dowsing works.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Why ? What's stopping you ?

Read this :

Geronimo W. Christ Esq

I shall resist the temptation ...

This is completely unbelievable, and if dowsing actually works, completely untrue. You are crossing the rods, even if unconciously.

Reply to
Huge

Ooh, yes please :-)

er - including what it is and does it work and can you prove it ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

:-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Of course they don't.

There's some force which we can't (at the moment) explain which makes them move.

You're not happy?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No idea. I've never witnessed them in any way but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

We didn't know there was a horse's skull in the garden behind until a digger revealed it yesterday.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from Tony Polson contains these words:

So why aren't automated dowsing trolleys seen roaming the streets looking for all the lost services the utility firms keep digging up the roads in search of?

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Ah, well, that's where it all goes wrong, innit.

Reply to
Guy King

They do not move themselves. The fact that almost anyone can get results using metal rods suggests that some form of electromagnetic force makes the rods cross.

If you, and other sceptics, just tried it, you would soon stop bleating about how it doesn't work. I was a complete sceptic but gave it a try because a respected colleague suggested I should. Not only did it work, but I found it very useful in my job as a civil engineer.

I am degree educated and professionally qualified. I would not suggest that dowsing works if I did not have personal experience that proved it does, overcoming my strong scepticism in the process.

Reply to
Tony Polson

I don't "believe" in it.

I don't care whether you believe in it or not, but it has actually

*worked* for me, making the job of locating underground services on construction sites immeasurably easier. It is not a question of belief, it is a simple, effective practical technique that you could easily perform yourself, but for the fact that your mind is closed.

It doesn't need any "belief" or "faith" to work, otherwise it would not work for a sceptic like me. All you need is two metal rods.

I don't particularly care *why* it works - what matters is that it does, although it would of course be interesting to know why.

Reply to
Tony Polson

Your arrogance and presumption know no bounds, sir.

Reply to
Tony Polson

Have tried it on site with some success, it is not repeatable under the controlled conditions I tried, therefore unlikely to be due to "some form of electromagnetic force". It may indeed in some sense work, but the only thing moving the rods is you.

Not really sure what being degree educated or professionally qualified has to do with this, unless you think it adds weight to your opinion.

Reply to
none

And you, Sir, are a fucktard. And a liar.

Reply to
Huge

Every objective test of dowsing shows that it is no better than random chance [1]. It doesn't work, it has never been proven to work and the odds are that the state of affairs will continue for ever.

All you have to offer is an anecdote.

[1] If done as you describe by a nobody armed with a pair of metal rods. If one hires a water diviner they *may* have better luck than a dowser however they use local knowledge of the lie of the land, the location of aquifers and simple observation such as popping out early in the morning to see the water vapour rising as the sun comes up.
Reply to
Steve Firth

You are kidding, aren't you? Are you saying there are measurable forces at work work here, that are *not* anything to do with the user holding the rods? So we could just stick a load of rods in a field, and from the air we would see the flow of an underground stream where the rods are 'pushed together' by this force?

If so, then that should be easy enough to test.

Perhaps another test would provide some further evidence: connect the two rods together at the base, to ensure that no amount of hand movement could tip them towards each other. That would prove they were pushed together without any force from the person holding the rods. On the other hand, if the rods did not move, then I guess the explanation would be that the connection would be 'short-circuiting' the effect...?

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

So you could devise an experiment that, if successful, would disprove the 'move by some form of electromagnetic force' theory?

Reply to
Jason

Correct, the person holding them moves them.

Reply to
Steve Firth