Downlighters and Holesaws

SWMBO has decreed that the kitchen will have (halogen) downlighters.

Fine by me. Except

Screwfix (at page 77-196) directs me to Holesaws on pages 65 and 66 where I expect to find saws to match the lights they sell.

Am I missing something or does 'cutout 80 mm' not suggest a holesaw which makes an 80 mm hole?

Screwfix has all manner of holesaws in sets or as singles but none in 80 mm as far as I can tell.

WTF?

Richard

Reply to
Richard

As an aside, first try the downlighters lightly fixed to the ceiling, before cutting holes. You may find that you have dim spots, or areas which are overly lit.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

A compass (point and pencil type) plus a padsaw ("Fat Max" from Homebase) works very well for any size.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks Ian. Good idea.

Reply to
Richard

Ah,

The LoTec approach. Simple when you step back from the 'tool for a purpose' approach to DIY.

And, as I am fitting the lights after the ceiling has been finished, possibly less destructive.

Thanks Dave

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Oh, IIRC, there are adjustable holesaws, which may be suitable.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Screwfix D12620 (£14.99) handles most lights.

Reply to
Mike

Most Electrcical Wholesalers sell holesaws of most common downlighter cut out sizes including 80mm.

Reply to
Ellis Greensitt

Personally I like nice neat jobs whether they are covered by bezels, architraving afterwards or not! I got a multi pack hole saw (common back plate and 4 cutters of different sizes). Found that the cutter claiming to be 89mm actually cut about 95mm! Had to pack the cutter blade into the back plate to maintain the correct diameter. Fortunately, being the "nice neat job liker" I discovered this on a test scrap piece of plasterboard not the bathroom ceiling!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I have just complete the same job (in response to the same decree).

I found there is a bit of leeway in hole size depending on the style of light. The next nearest size up from the recommended will almost certainly be fine. Using the nearest size down make for a very tight fit -- something I did on the first couple of lights that I fitted. Let's hope I don't have to remove then anytime soon.

Reply to
johnty

Possibly one of the most ill-conceived and generally most useless tools around. Spend the extra and get the tube sort - at least they stay attached.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The 86mm

almost certainly be fine (most downlights have over a cm of bezel all the way round).

Reply to
John Rumm

If it's a lath and plaster ceiling you usually end up using the padsaw. The laths aren't stable enough and anything mechanical just bounces around too much

Reply to
Stuart Noble

... and a lath and plaster ceiling will require lights suitable for mounting in a flammable ceiling.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I have a 'motorised compasses attachment' affair (from Toolstation or Screwfix) the shank of which you pop in your drill, then slaken the wing nut and slide the cutter blade in or out to your required diameter.

Place the center point on the relevant spot, on slow speed (dead slow- else dust everywhere) the blade rotates and cuts a very neat hole in the plasterboard. Works lovely on plastics too.

Obviously does all sizes from about 25mm upto about 150 from memory.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..