double insulated metal case 240v downlights in bathroom... earth or not?

double insulated metal case 240v downlights in bathroom... earth or not?

Old identical (lamp thread knacked) downlight had an earth lead cable-tied to the (genuine looking) 2 core flex from jctn box earth to downlight, screwed to metal down light case, looks like this 'flying earth' was added on installation....

So do I replicate this arrangement with the replacement?

TIA

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

If the product is actually marked as Class II (box in box symbol) I wouldn't. Though arguably it won't do much harm in this case to make it a Class I - just a bit unnecessary. Does it have a parking terminal for the CPC?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I would add earthing. Heavy condensation is normal in bathrooms, I'd hate to rely on something being class 2 there.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

/Does it have a parking terminal for the CPC?/q

Square in square mark is there. Fitting is from toolsatan 37092 by CED.

Theres a fitted 2 core (L & N) fly lead already wired to the lampholder, no other specific earthing point I can see.

On the visually very similar old one, the added earth was attached with a self tapper to a hole in the steel body. On the new one that hole is present, tho untapped & unmarked....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

You dont mention whether it meets class 2 requirements, chinese mfrs too often cut corners after the product has achieved buyer approval. A sticker has limited value these days.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

/You dont mention whether it meets class 2 requirements, /q

Why should it meet Class 2 ?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK