Double insulated wall light?

I bought some metal wall lights and when I came to fit them, discovered that the fitting instructions state that they are "double insulated", hence no protective earth connection is needed.

There are a 'box-in-a-box' and CE mark logos on the label as would be expected. See photo here:

The brown and blue wires are clearly single insulated and could come into contact with the outer casing.

Is the fitting actually double insulated? If so, I don't understand how.

Reply to
nemo

Treat it as class 1, earth it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

or upgrade it to class 2

NT

Reply to
meow2222

They're wall lights, not relics!

Reply to
Paul Herber

That's what I've done. I would've returned them for a refund, but I couldn't face the traipsing around shops with 'er indoors to find alternatives.

Incidentally a ceiling light fitting in the same range and which has very similar internals, is described as "Class 1, must be earthed" and

*does* have a protective earth connection.

Methinks a call to the vendor's[1] customer relations department would be in order.

[1] John Lewis
Reply to
nemo

Oh dear.

One wouldn't normally equate them with cheap tat.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

"Never knowingly under-insulated" ?

Reply to
nemo

Methinks a call to trading standards would be more likely to get something done...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've just called JL and was asked to email the details, order number, photo etc.

If John Lewis lives up to its reputation for responsive customer service I'd expect it to be taken very seriously and to hear from them soon what action they'll take.

Otherwise Trading Standards will be hearing about it.

Reply to
nemo

No a friend got a brass light switch which seemed to be very suspect recently, as there seemed to be every possibility of either the earth coming off of a naff attached connection with a loose rivet, and not enough insulation of the live wire. OK so youearth the box its in, but that might not always be metal. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Some people do find that awful tingle you get on metal parts of double insulated gear very offputting. I find this sort of thing a lot on hi fi stuff these days. Why don't they use an earth any more? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I can see that approach would offer better protection than no earth connection at all, and I did consider it.

However, in a fault situation you'd need to detach the unit from its wall fixing in order to investigate, hence detaching the earth connection. The dangling bare live wire that could be lurking behind may then touch the metal casing you are holding with shocking consequences. The jolt may not be lethal, but the fall from the ladder might be painful or worse.

Reply to
nemo

Well, you would have turned the circuit off before taking things apart?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes. I'd switch off at the light switch and open the lighting circuit breaker. I'd also check for voltage on the terminals before touching 'em, which I'd only be able to do once the unit is detached from its wall fixing that would be providing the protective earth...

[cue Uncle Peter to scream about 'elfandsafetygornmad]
Reply to
nemo

When I went around international medical exhibitions, there were overseas manufacturers who would happily supply equipment with a CE mark, but who, when questioned, obviously had no idea what that implied or entailed. I doubt that electrical goods are any different.

Reply to
Nightjar

I guess it's simply to avoid hum loops.

Reply to
Johny B Good

The wall lights are of Chinese manufacture but as they're packaged and offered as John Lewis branded products, I'd expect JL is responsible for quality issues IMO.

Interestingly the ceiling light fitting in the same range is of similar construction but is designated Class 1, has a protective earth connection and the instructions state "must be earthed".

Reply to
nemo

They are undoubtedly responsible in law, but that doesn't mean they haven't simply relied upon their supplier following the correct procedures.

Reply to
Nightjar

which is either a bit naive or knowing the results well enough, choosing that cheaper option.

nt

Reply to
meow2222

A few years ago, I bought some theatre lights. One of them, looking ever so slightly different from the others, failed a PAT test because the earth pin of the moulded-on plug had no connection with the metal work of the fixture.

Reply to
charles