Double glazing again (groan) - screw sizes

Reviewing the general advice from all quarters the size of frame fixings is not always consistent.

I have 8 *120 and 10 * 100 'in stock'.

Trivial, I know, but although I haver started by using the 8 * 120 I note that others have used 10 * 100.

Just generally worrying if the 8 * 120 are man enough for the job. They certainly seem preety strong although the heads are a little fragile.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I used 8 * 100 without any problems. Its not very critical ! If you foam the frames in as well, its all very solid. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

David WE Roberts wibbled on Wednesday 30 June 2010 12:45

Think I used 8's last time about 100 or 120mm long - whatever it took to get well into the brick. It was fine, no problems at all... For a door frame I'd use 10's or extra 8's spaced a little closer because of the shocks caused by slamming of the door.

If you foam or mortar the frame in afterwards, the fixing tightens up a lot anyway (indeed I have heard of newbuild fitters just foaming frames in without screws - but the last proper pro job I saw he used both).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks, guys - going O.K. now once I worked out why I was having trouble with the fixings. [See the 'blow out pump' thread]

My recipe for success with 8 * 120 frame fixings is now:

Drill deep Blow out the hole to remove all debris Grease the screw to stop it siezing and snapping when it is nearly in.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

First frame is now screwed in - about to start on the second.

Foaming around the edges is a real 'point of no return' - up to that point you can easily unscrew everything and backtrack. So - any reason not to foam round the frame before fitting the glazing? Waiting for some bridge packers (which I forgot to order) to turn up so there may be a slight delay before glazing.

I can't at the moment see why (as the window opens and closes) foaming will cause any problems but I have acted in haste before....

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

David WE Roberts wibbled on Wednesday 30 June 2010 15:32

I glaze first. Partly because I want the glazing done first for security.

Once that's done, I foam (often the next day!). Day later, trim the foam with a 4" evil blade and tart it up with coloured sealant and/or trim as required.

It's not that powerful :) The glazing being in stiffens the whole frame up anyway, so do that, make sure you're happy (although unglazing is a PITA so try to get it right first time). Then foam at your leisure.

HTH

Reply to
Tim Watts