Blow out pump

After much searching for the correct search description for something that is used to blow dust and debris out of a drill hole before putting in the plastic plug I finally discovered 'blow out pump'.

O.K. - the FAQ suggests a bendy straw which I will try first when my local courier comes back with a packet.

However there are some around, though mainly suggested for chemical fixings.

e.g.

anyone use these? And are they much better than the bendy straw?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

No, they're horrible - you need two hands. The rubber bulb sort is far better, as you can pump that just by squeezing with one.

Bot work better than bendy straws (more whoosh, less faceful of dust on the inhale, drier air), but straws are better than nothing.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Have found a plastic adapter for the 12V tyre inflator which fits into a bendy straw. This in turn is fixed to my track pump. Needs two hands, but the straw keeps everything in place and the blow out seems to work O.K.

If I have time I'll post a picture - it is almost worthy of Heath Robinson.

Cheeers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I've always just used a vacuum cleaner. With the crevice tool half across the hole and waggled about a bit, turbulence does the rest of the work. I've never inspected the bottom of the hole to check for remnants, but it seems to work well enough in most cases.

Reply to
Jón Fairbairn

Unfortunately when fixing window frames with a 5mm gap either side I can't get the crevice tool in between the frame and the wall and the 5mm air gap prevents suction from within the frame.

A drinking straw on the end of a pump does seem to do the trick, though. Having seen the dust coming out, I wouldn't like to blow down the straw myself though - face full of dust every time.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

In article , David WE Roberts writes

Final note:

For chemical anchors it's recommended to brush, blow, brush, blow as sometimes you get crud at the bottom of the hole that wont blow out but will weaken a resin joint. The teapot cleaning version of a bottle brush is ideal for this (no joke). I took particular note of the requirements when I was installing chemical anchors for safety point anchors where I definitely didn't want it to do wrong.

For resin anchors, I wouldn't rely on a vac.

Reply to
fred

Many vacs have a 'blow' function. Could that be used?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

With a straw, but it hardly takes much puff anyway.

The trick is to use a straw, so that the airflow is going in one single direction. If you blow across the end of the hole, the flow is merely a few paltry vortices across the top of it, which doesn't do anything to clear out a deep hole.

Reply to
Andy Dingley