door chain upvc door

Friend of mine has just had a nasty experience with someone trying to force their way into the house, which turned out ok thank god. But she would now like a door chain fitted. The front door is upvc. Anyone had any experience of fitting a door chain to one of these?. Any ideas on best ways to do it etc?

TIA

Dave

Reply to
gort

Forget door chains, every single one I've seen is useless. Get a door viewer/spyhole.

Reply to
dom

A small bolt cropper goes straight through them, as I found out on Thursday when Granny had a fall. Spyholes are not so good for the elderly, but these days CCTV and intercoms are cheap.

Reply to
Newshound

So why not get a more substantial chain? (Bearing in mind that if the need to get in is great enough, the PVC panels on a door are less effective than any chain at stopping illegals.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

These are good

but as you say its the panels wot is the weakest link.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks Dave. Forgot about those. She just wants something to prevent the door being pushed open. The guy was not attacking her, he got the wrong house and was overly pushy, but it could have been worse and it scared her. Ss we need to give her something as at least one line of defence.

Cheers all and happy christmas.

Dave

Reply to
gort