Door bells: combining standard and wireless systems

I have a rather spread-out house (4 floors) and was surprised to find that I could not add a 3rd bell to my traditional bell circuit. This is powered by a mains transformer, which says it can output 1 amp at 3-5 volts, which I would have thought would be enough for 3 bells.

(When all are attached, one does not ring at all, and one of the other 2 gives out a very feeble note.)

I was wondering about the feasibility of adding a wireless bell which is triggered (somehow) when the traditional door-bell is pushed.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I know I could replace the whole thing by wireless. One problem with that is that I have a rather nice brass bell-push on the door, while all the wireless bell systems I have seen have rather tatty plastic parts.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

You could do that, or you could just replace you transformer with a higher power one - much simpler.

Reply to
Grunff

I picked a wireless system off a shelf in B&Q, last time I moved house, that allowed you to wire in your own bell-push. That was four years ago---have they disappeared completely? I'm pretty sure it was fairly bog-standard Friedland stuff.

Reply to
Sam Nelson

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:16:36 +0000, Timothy Murphy strung together this:

2 options. Friedland have a wireless push that will accept a wired button in parrallel, you can mount this above the door and wire it into the existing switch, the bell can then be wirelessly connected elsewhere. 2nd option is to add another 1amp powersupply to the side of the existing one to boost the power, or buy a bigger 2-3amp one and replace the existing. While you're at it, check the rating of the bells and transformer, most bells are 8V+, running them on a 3-5volt transformer is never going to get them ringing loudly.
Reply to
Lurch

Get a transformer from the likes of Maplin. 6 volt - it's not critical.

25VA at 6 volts will be approx 4 amps. Somewhere around 10 quid. You'll need a box, though, and best to add a mains input fuse.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Timothy Murphy wrote in news:V_1md.41868 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.indigo.ie:

Just so happens I have the cordless bit in front of me. I did this in the old house, the doorbell was wired via a traditional push and wire arrangement to the exisiting bell. The cordless bit then connects to the bell end of the wire. The cordless bell bit says it is a Friedland LIBRA D285. Quick google gave me this.

Billywhizz

use in conjunction with your existing bell-push. They are at

't know if you could use it in conjunction with a hard-wired system.)

David

Reply to
Lobster

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:01:47 GMT, "Lobster" strung together this:

Friedland. (Not that I'm saying don't use Byron, just Friedland is better quality).

You could, just a bit of common sense required.

Reply to
Lurch

"Timothy Murphy" wrote | I have a rather spread-out house (4 floors)

Have you thought about a door intercom system, or even a small PBX with a doorstation? Either would save you having to fly down three flights of stairs before the postman runs away with your Screwf*x delivery back to the depot.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try both solutions.

The transformer I have is inside my fuse box, and is intended for a bell circuit, I am sure. But maybe 3 bells is too many. Anyway I'll try a more powerful transformer.

None of the bells has a recommended voltage on it, as far as I can see. For some reason, my cheapo multimeter does not give a sensible resistance rating for the bell - the value varies wildly according to which ohmage range I choose. Maybe the resistance doesn't become effective until the bell is turne on?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Since it's AC, resistance means not a lot. You could work it out by measuring the current when in use - but also the voltage at the same time. Open circuit voltage from a transformer ain't much use either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Should have made that an AC coil - ie an inductor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 00:35:49 -0000, "Owain" strung together this:

I've got a cheap 3+8 PBX, nearly new with door intercom and lock release facility. It's f*****g crap, anyone want to buy it?

Reply to
Lurch

"Lurch" wrote | >Have you thought about a door intercom system, or even a | >small PBX with a doorstation? | I've got a cheap 3+8 PBX, nearly new with door intercom and | lock release facility.

Sounds good so far ...

| It's f*****g crap, anyone want to buy it?

Not now, no :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:35:11 -0000, "Owain" strung together this:

Bugger! eBay here we come....

Reply to
Lurch

Friedland Libra from Screwfix or TLC are cheaper than the Byrons at B&Q! £17.99 for the 50 metre Grey one from Screwfix, a bit more from TLC but a wider range of colours and accessories.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:01:41 +0000, Mike Clarke strung together this:

There you go then, shop around and get better quality stuff at lower prices.

Reply to
Lurch