Door alignment

What's an effective way to align a multipoint locking double glazed door? Following mfr's instructions simply doesn't work. Whenever set to work ok it drifts off after a while. Up/down aligment is not too hard, but L-R is a bit more of an unknown territory. There are 3 hinges that can all be adjusted L-R, though they're overly stiff.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Is that all? Some of the flag hinges have combined left/right and in/out adjustments, where one function operates per rotation and the other operates over several rotations ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

yup

I don't know what you mean by 'in out'. Each hinge has just one L-R movement direction.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

alters the gap between frame and door, to make sure seals fit tightly, do you know the make/model of hinges?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have a problem with an old upvc porch door. You lift the handle with it open, the lock turns, you do it with it shut and it won't. The problem is how do you figure out which of the four posts is not travelling fully up or down? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

OK, there's no in-out adjustment, and afaics it's not needed. Just one adjustment:

forget the brand of door, logo is an S in the style of superman. Following mfr's instructions was never really successful. Removing the bottom plastic wedge that limits how low the door can go when closing was required to get it to work, so I suspect the frame was never fitted to spec.

All I'm left with at the mo is experimentation, plan to loosen the hinge screws to permit adjustment & play, but any better guidance could be a help.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Try removing the panel retaining beading and check the panel alignment weges/packing strips. The door "squareness" can be adjusted by judicious packing of the panels/glass of most DG doors.

Reply to
Cynic

What panel do you mean? You lost me. I shall check the door squareness.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:qsqtud$jij$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

I once had the same problem - it was resolved by adjusting the hinge and this stopped the roller from bottoming in the slot.

Reply to
John

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

An Allen key in the top turns an eccentric pillar this adjusting the door from side to side and in and out. Allen key underneath adjusts height. get the seal face right and then use the adjuster at the end of the flag to move the door on and out to get it right.

Reply to
John

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

John

I thing he means, remove the beads that hold the glazed panel in place, then you can check the bottom/side packers to see if the panel(s) have been toe'n'heeled properly, if not that will tend to make the door pull out of square.

Reply to
Andy Burns

right, now I know.

it sits flat against the frame ok

The question is how to set that. So far no approach has really proven effective

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Most double glazed doors have either glass panels or insulated plastic sheet panels instead. The mounting being similar ie snap in beading. Toe and heeling correctly allows the squareness of the door to be adjusted. There's probably something on you tube showing the method.

Reply to
Cynic

Found you one. There's a few others.

Reply to