domestic vacuum cleaners

Which is the best one? I don't mind if it's a bit more expensive than normal.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Cylinder - Miele Upright - Sebo

IMHO

Reply to
polygonum

...snip...

Cylinder - Miele Upright - Sebo

+1 for the Miele. Also, I believe that the difference between the base and "hypo-alergenic" style models is just the filters and bags, so you can buy the base model and pimp-it later if you like.

And if they're still doing the offer, it might be worth taking their "extended warrantee with free replacement bags" option - when we bought ours the cost of the replacement bags we got free would have been more than the warrantee cost.

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

What you gonna want to do with it,. From what I can tell they seem to be all pretty much of a muchness. I've not found one that does not lose some suction as it ages, though cannot figure out what the issue is that causes this. My Vax is not bad as long as you keep the filters clean, but its quite heavy and a bit too wide for my stairs and hence its got issues with gravity!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don't like bagged cleaners as they tend to get blocked up before they get full reducing the suck power. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On Tuesday 29 January 2013 14:19 Bill Wright wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Miele cylinder (with powered beater head if you any carpets). As good as an upright but more flexible.

Old VAX cylinder if you want something you can beat up for DIY.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well, I don't know whether any bagless cleaners (Dyson perhaps?) work properly, but the one I got from Lidl is totally useless. Its filters get blocked and it stops sucking *very* quickly - and it's then a very messy job cleaning it out compared with throwing a full bag away and fitting a new one.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Another +1 for Miele cylinder here, bags last ages and still works even when they are full to bursting. We have only ever used genuine bags in it though, so don't know what they are like with cheap aftermarket ones.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

On Tuesday 29 January 2013 15:42 Lee wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I'm going to fess up that I have actually broken a Miele hoover. I would recommend it based on the suction, filtration and beater bar, which surpass every other hoover I've ever had (except the VAX which matched suction but not filtration).

Mine (A Revolution IV) has buttons in the handle for motor speed. For a while now, the motor cuts out randomly of you pull a certain way on the hose.

I suspect the slip rings in the handle end (which it must have as you can spin the hose on both ends). I really must take it to bits and have a look.

Mine's 9 years old and has been unreasonably abused by too many people though...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Is that the 'cylinder' one in metallic maroon with the clear canister? If so, leave off the central filter and it will be fine for most jobs unless you are super allergic to dust.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bosch GS60 bagless cylinder. Simple to empty. Has been going for the last 10-12 years. Just works.

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Newbury

A claim (true) made by Die Soon. But a Henry with a half full bag will run rings around a Die Soon.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Agree with Sebo, but a Henry takes some beating.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've used a Killies 1100 (Mercedes rebrand) for 20 years, and one in the flat for 10 years. Loverly little thing, the Kalashnikov of vacuum cleaners. Pop the motor out, dump the rest in the sink, scrub clean.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

A Dyson takes some beating, too - or at least it should, with a BFH :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Try a Henry with the Airo Brush! Can be bought separately, or as a bundle named the Henry Xtra.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Got a Miele cat and dog on the basis of Which?. Seems pretty indestructible but the newer Henry comes out more often than not these days. Good long cord on totally reliable winder.

Cheap Wickes plastic wet and dry is indispensible for the workshop / plumbing / gullies etc.

Reply to
newshound

Everybody seems to slag off Dysons, but I've had a DC01 Absolute upright for some years now, and it's never seriously let me down. If you let the machine overfill you do run the risk of clogging up bits of the internal "pipework", but that's fairly easily resolved; and if you try to pick up bigger bits such as bits of gravel treaded into the house, or small nuts 'n' bolts the rubber "safety valve" flap can let these drop when you switch the machine off. I did once break the wand/handle but got a replacement over the counter at a local spares place.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Perhaps the newer (non-UK produced) Dysons aren't up to the standard of the DC01. We've had our DC01 for at least 15 years, and it still works very well. The only time I've had to take bits of it apart, was my own fault - I'd used it to do a quick tidy up after stripping wallpaper. Some of the wallpaper was still damp, and the paste stuck to the innards. I opened it up, cleaned it out, put it back together, and it's still doing a good job.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Got a Miele cat and dog on the basis of Which?. Seems pretty indestructible but the newer Henry comes out more often than not these days. Good long cord on totally reliable winder.

That reminds me, the only issue I've had with the Miele was that the wife just presses "rewind" and lets the cable thrash it's way in. This worked for a while until the cable became so badly rewound that it jammed, requiring me to dismantle the thing to release the cable. I suspect other models would have the same fault though.

Really it's about educating the wife to always fully extract the cable and then providing some tension on rewind, but some people are resistant to certain aspects of education ;-)

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith