Domestic Oil Tanks?

I've tried all the usual search options without finding the info I need so can anyone here help.. A mate has told me that he has heard that the government is proposing a new regulation that all domestic oil tanks will have to be bunded from 2006/7 and that the order is going to be retrospective. Has anyone else heard any mention of this as I would have thought it would have raised a fair amount of discussion?

Secondly is it possible to have 2 tanks in tandem for a domestic installation? The reason I'm asking is, we have a 2year old, 1250l tank which isn't ideal. Seems we have 2 options.

1] add another 1250l tank and tee both tanks to feed the boiler or 2] replace with one 2500l tank

Option 1 would be the cheapest but is it allowed?

TIA Pepper

Reply to
Pepper

Not a thing.

Retrospective legislation is iniquitious.

Reply to
Huge

Haven't heard anything about this and I wouldn't have thought it could be made retrospective as it will cost every oil-fired household several hundred pounds to replace their oil tank. Surely no politician is stupid enough to annoy such a large number of voters ?

It's been a couple of years since I looked in to this but I can't remember anything which said you couldn't do this. I'll try to look out the information I've got and post any links etc. tomorrow,

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

Hi Pepper

Bunded tanks are already required near rivers, wells etc. Chemical storage tanks are also required to be bunded in industry near rivers.

More info

David Lang

I haven't heard of this idea and I can't see it being retrospective even if it is correct. Its about as policeable as part P. That won't stop the fat el stupido of course

I aren't aware of any specific prohibition of seperate tanks as long as the total volume is below 2500 litres it currently doesn't need bunding if its for a domestic property. The arrangement is fairly common in practice. See the Oftec website and also control of pollution act. There should be reference in Google as I found the details for someone not too long ago and I'm not minded to wade through the websites at this time of night.

Reply to
John

Thanks John I did check on the OFTEC site but couldn't find any reference to multiple tanks.

Pepper

Reply to
Pepper

I'm afraid your thanks were premature :-(

The links I have are now out of date and just come up with "not found" errors.

According to my memory (which may not be trustworthy !) all the documentation I did find that mentions restrictions on what you could and couldn't do just referred to tank volumes (i.e. "this [restriction] does not apply for residential installations under

3000l" etc.) and I think you could easily argue that two linked tanks are no different in law than a single larger tank - otherwise the survivalists amongst us would be able to get away with storing six million litres of fuel in two thousands individual but linked tanks and argue that the installation was exempt from the legislation.

Sorry about raising any false hopes,

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

I've just looked up the relevant EA website which you may find useful

working today and gives a full and frank outline of therequirements. I interpret your two linked tanks idea as being the same asone of the same total volume.

Reply to
John

Thanks again John. I'd already checked the EA site and come to the same conclusion but its nice to have a second opinion.

is working today and gives a full and frank outline of therequirements. I interpret your two linked tanks idea as being the same asone of the same total volume.

Reply to
Pepper

I think you may find that it is 2500l.

Reply to