Doing your own plumbing work

I can't find the post to which the OP of the equivalent "electrical" thread refers, but whilst looking for it in the Forum at

came across another worrrying statement: "changes to the water regs mean that any refurb or alteration work carried out on any water fittings now have to be done by a water authority approved plumber. this can be something as minor as fitting a single sink. failure to do this can result in a fine or up to =A31000 for each breach of regs."

Is there any truth in that one, as I need to replace a tap washer?

Chris

Reply to
chris_doran

Was it this one?

Aidan

I came across another worrrying statement: "changes to the water regs

I posted the following a few weeks ago. However it doesn't seem to have shown up on Google groups* so others may not have seen it either.

(* in fact nothing I've posted since June 5th shows up

so maybe NTLworld is excelling itself with the quality of its internet service again)

"The government is moving towards extending self-certification across other trades. From April 2006, competent persons will be required to self-certificate [sic] plumbing work, including unvented cylinders, to meet the compliance requirements of the Building Regulations. As /Gas Installer/ goes to press, we have yet to be informed of the complete criteria for entry and how this competency may be measured." (From CORGI's 'Gas Installer' magazine, November 2005 issue, just out.)

So there you have it: another meticulously thought-out scheme worked out in full consultation with all the relevant bodies and introduced in a measured timescale. Now might be a good time to let your elected representatives know what an unmitigated success Part P has been and how much you think the proposed regs will help consumers, the trades and responsible DIYers, perhaps with especial reference to the skills shortage and how having to pay through the nose for fancy registered plumbers and electricians because of the changes may affect your voting intentions.

Perhaps also your MP can find out how many lives these proposed measures (whatever they are) will save (and how).

ISTR the words "Regulatory Impact Assessment" from somewhere, too.

Reply to
john.stumbles