Phone costs

Any view on a cheap wired phone service (current BT is 30 - 50 pounds per month. A bit OT but I welcome your views.

Reply to
john

God knows where you hve been looking, BT doesn't cost that much. £10.50 inc VAT a month I think mine is. That's for line rental. I have to be with them for ADSL unfortunately. Go and have a look at the BT site for latest pricing. It will cost you more depending on whether you want to add various packages and options, but most people never use all that as a mobile on a good contract is better value.

Reply to
ray

Have a look at

and you DON'T have to be with BT to use ADSL as I am proving at this very moment, oh and paying £18.50 / qtr. rental :-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Andy Cap wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well worth following up; I loathe BT because they make me pay for "free" calls (option 1) which I don't use.

My provider says I can use BT by dialling a code to get back on to BT, but ICBA as I hardly use it, mu bills onlu a quid or two a month.

But AIUI, BT will still own the wires.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Aren't they the ones with the rather dodgy terms and conditions? Read carefully..

Reply to
Bob Eager

Agreed about the cost of BT ..Maybe you are (the OP) confusing monthly costs with 3 monthly costs .

Agreed.If I didn't need a BT line for my Broadband I'd dump the BT phone and just use my mobile . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

How do you get that figure? They seems to charge ?8.50/month...which is only ?2/month less than BT, but with call charges that are a bit higher. They tie you to a 12 month contract which is automatically renewed for another 12 months unless you tell them otherwise in advance. All periods of 12 months carry an early termination penalty (you have to call them to find out how much it is).

They also don't let you use access codes to select another supplier, so you're stuck with their call charges, which are not very competitive. You'd probably be better off paying the extra ?2/month to BT and using

1899 or 18866.
Reply to
Bob Eager

What i said maybe wasn't clear .I need to be with BT to get MY Braodband which is with Plusnet.. Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

No you don't. I'm with Plusnet too. You only require a line connected to a BT exchange, not an account with them.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

I agree with your figures. I'm sorry I misquoted the current price. The prices must have gone up very recently though because my last total bill was for less than that in total.

I make exceptionally few calls from my landline, using really only for accessing Plusnet and therefore call charges don't really interest me. Of course it is for the individual to choose the supplier that best suits their need. As for the 12 month contract, I have no problem with that.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

BT is 9.50 per month if you use direct debit / monthly payment plan on the basic Option 1.

Look at call18866 for cheap calls.

If you make many 0845/0870 ('special service') calls I think most suppliers charge BT rates.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I make it 10.50 a month. The BT Price List shows:

BT Together Option 1 26.80 exclusive 31.49 inclusive

per quarter, if payment is by direct debit.

Also the sister company call1899, which can sometimes be cheaper.

Or slightly more. Best to use BT for those, most of the time.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I went over to One-Tel - chief attraction was that if you take a one-tel mobile as well, then your calls between mobile and home in either direction are free. Taking an internet bundle deal (which I havent done yet as I'm still in a one yr contract with NDO) made it even cheaper..

Jim

Reply to
jjj

Basic BT deal for the line: use 1899 for all UK calls, 3p connection that's it: landline to mobs 10p p minute week days; 3p p m weekends: for my isp I pay =A310 for 1meg with Ukonline

Reply to
philw

Basic BT deal for the line: use 1899 for all UK calls, 3p connection that's it: landline to mobs 10p p minute week days; 3p p m weekends: for my isp I pay £10 for 1meg with Ukonline

1899 is great - however all such services introduce a big delay in the call going through. Good if you're planning on a long natter - but irritating otherwise...
Reply to
jjj

Or look at

for 'standard' alternatives to some 0870/0845 numbers

Reply to
PM