Does tooth coating renewal work

This Sensodyne toothpaste that contains Novamin which is supposed to renew the teeth's enamel coating...

is the best way to find out if it is actually effective? I.e. some kind of independent assessment of its effectiveness.

Reply to
john brook

Personal experience. Previous visit to dentist I mentioned some sensitivity to cold foods, dentist recomended using Sensodyne, I did. The sensitivity has gone away (took a while, several weeks) with no other change to the twice daily brushing. Of course it could just be the change of toothpaste to one less abrasive or any other change related to the toothpaste, different Ph?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hopefully their website has a more convincing "science bit" than

820°C difference for the sake of a bit of capitalisation and an (R) tacked on the end.

Reply to
Andy Burns

semi-technical advertisement, than an independent description. It seems to take great care not to make any claims for the product.

The best way is to try it: night and day on one side of your mouth for 30 years, while using a different brand on the other side. After that, could you report back, please?

I.e. some

Reply to
root

Basically, on your teeth, under the enamel, are tiny channels that goes through to the nerve area. If the enamel gets worn down, or you have receding gums, these channels get exposed and you have a quick path for hot/cold/sweet straight to the nerves, which are very sensitive [1]. Once the nerves get hit once, they for some reason become super-sensitive.

What the Sensodyne stuff contains is some chemicals that can block these channels, allowing the nerves to calm down. And yes, it can take several weeks to desensitise them.

[1] I once asked a dentist why we had this crap design with over-sensitive nerves. Basically the answer is that you need to be able to feel stuff as you chew it, hence the nerves. And since they are shielded with great chunks of teeth, they have to have the gain turn way up.
Reply to
Tim Streater