Does this leave you feeling slightly inadequate?

(even if there a team of helpers behind the scenes, some of the stuff she creates is still massively impressive!)

Reply to
John Rumm

never work in the near of scotland

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Na, she would dig down 6" and be under water!

Reply to
John Rumm

Am I alone in being disappointed she didn't don a bikini...

Anon:-)

Reply to
Mike Rogers

These films of Chinese people being amazingly hard working and clever are of course blessed by, if not funded by, the Chinese Communist Party. E.g. check out Lin Guoer . Obviously she seems to have an inexhaustible supply of spray paint, enammelled copper wire, access to a bead blaster, and never primes any metal...before spraying it pink....but there is no doubt she does the work and watching her lift 20kg loads is amazing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ISTR she is from Singapore...

Reply to
John Rumm

Not many use coolant when machining steel either.

Reply to
jon

Hope she used Fairy Liquid as plasticiser when rendering those walls - keep her hands nice and soft.

Reply to
Andrew

Actually country houses used to build semi-underground structures like that with a roof and insulated with peat and straw so that they could be used as ice-storage in the days before leccy.

One was converted into a fantastic house a few years ago. I think it was on one of the grand designs programs.

Reply to
Andrew

I suppose one of the advantages of cob render is it is much kinder to the hands.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article <t7088q$e52$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, John Rumm <see.my.signature@now here.null> scribeth thus

Another one if Lin the mechanic doesn't seem to be anything she can't fix!..

tony sayer

Great stuff, thanks!

I like the way it's called pump 'repair', rather than 'total rebuild'

J^n

Reply to
jkn

Back in the 1950s there were people with skills like this doing repairs all over Britain.

Then new kit became cheapser than labour.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is that really a repair, though? There's practically nothing left of the original pump.

And, it's not just the labour cost. The parts costs are so high that it's not really worthwhile, often, even with no labour costs.

Reply to
GB

I think some people just love machines and so.... Its like the aircraft restoration, you end up with more or less new, with a few original parts on them for authentic looks etc.

I wonder if, in the future somebody will make a replica Nuclear reactor? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If its the one I saw, there's about 60% of the pump.

The spares are expensive because of the labour content in handling them and storing them ...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I doubt it. But they might lovingly restore a wind turbine....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One thought was why she didn't 'appear' to check the integrity of the stator windings before chiselling them out!

Reply to
Fredxx

AFAICR she looked inside and they were blackened and burnt

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

search the 'nuclear boy scout'

Reply to