Does old paint become plastic?

There is a strip that goes along the top of all four walls beside the ceiling. At first I thought it was some plastic film that had been stuck on because when I peel it back, it comes of in a strip of a 5x5 centimeters. The top layer is white, bottom layer is yellow. So... when paint gets old does it end up behaving in this way?

Thanks for your time

Reply to
Jason Hallway

This is because the paint was applied to a surface that was not properly prepared by sanding (to give a "key") and washing (to remove grease).

Reply to
Mr Fuxit