does it need undercoating

From: "Pete" Subject: Does it need priming Date: 14 September 2011 21:27

I'm about to paint some doors at home, they are old wood effect looking manky looking things (love the description lol). I guess I give it a gentle rub down but does this need undercoating or should I just get straight on to the glossing ? A few reviews on b&q suggest I can paint straight on with a certain paint

additional info it says no undercoat required! .. also says extra hiding power which I have no idea what that means lol.. What do you reckon ... reviews look favourable .. I was thinking either that or
'm after a strong finish as it will be on a door and with kids dirty hands here and there it may need a gentle baby wipe, otherwise satin wood would be a nicer look but hey ho.

Advice welcomed on which way to go... :)

Thank you kindly ... very much so as you guys help me so much!

Reply to
Pete

You may love it, but its important to work out what it really is.

most paints won't take to plastic well.

I guess I give it a gentle

If its never been painted at all you need primer then undercoat then gloss.

Id strongly suggest you take the whole thing off and try a bit of car spray paint on it. Its bloody easy to get a decent finish with car spray primer plus car spray top coat..:-

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If what you describe is synthetic doors, they will need a gripping primer like

undercoat and gloss ... the one coat combines both ... and the non drip makes it thick. Good or bad can't tell, I have never used non-drip anything.

Reply to
Charles

Sand it back ... if it goes to bare wood .. then primer first > then undercoat > then 2nd undercoat > then one of gloss

'If' there is very little bare wood, skip the primer.

Remember undercoat does the build & gives the protections, top is just the shine.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

under additional info it says no undercoat required! .. also says extra

ds

Its possible to paint such things with no undercoat, but I reckon you'd regret it. Unless you're really brassic, get the undercoat. Or if things are that bad, go to poundland and get a =A31 oil based matt finish (eggshell etc) pale colour, use that as undercoat.

NT

Reply to
NT

under additional info it says no undercoat required! .. also says extra

ds

I'd second responses that say you definitely need undercoat with conventional gloss, having made the mistake myself! I've never had much joy with the water-based 'gloss' paints, which seem to have real trouble adhering to almost any surface. For a quick and cheerful result though, I'd go for the Crown one-coat gloss. Not far off real gloss in terms of result and much quicker as it gives a decent cover and finish in one go. Just like real gloss, it does take a while to dry properly. Can't recommend the Dulux version (which you might imagine would be pretty much identical): that was a real pain to work with.

Reply to
GMM

[snip]

Can't comment on the B&Q paint itself having not used it but the term "Extra Hiding Power" means is has good coverage or obliterates the underneath colour, but this would still depend on the colour underneath anyway.

One coat paint formulations tend to be thicker then normal gloss so I would imagine more filler or pigment has been used to bulk it up, which would lend toward not needing an undercoat.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull