Does EE use Orange masts

at least it describes frequency properly in cycles per second ....not some foreign blokes name...stuff Heinrich and stupid SI units .....brexit will solve all those problems ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

The early workers in the field to whom should be given most of the credit are long forgotten because they were celebrated in the former c.g.s. system of units; Maxwell and Oersted.

(But I never found out who was Mr. Erg :-) )

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

Not only me, the experts too at -

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

When you make a call using your network's Wi-Fi calling feature, they charge you (or deduct from your airtime allowance) exactly the same as if the call was routed through the cellular system, so it's win-win for them.

That's why I have made my own arangements for VoIP calling via Wi-Fi.

Reply to
Graham.

No. One of the MPs a couple of years ago (when free roaming was being extended to data within plans throughout the EU) was talking about forcing companies to enable internal roaming within the UK, but nothing came of it.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Except that when they merged, the decomissioned some masts and adjusted the power of others up or down, to remove duplication, so you can't be sure that that mast is even still operational. In doing so they managed to isolate a very large business park around here, cutting off reception for thousands of people who were tied into contracts with them!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Maybe... There is a cell near here with a notice on the door saying "T-Mobile (UK)". The site and mast also has kit from Hutchison 3G (aka 3) on it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article <qi5t5k$g51$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield <?.?@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk> scribeth thus

Mast sharing is still quite the done thing and has been for years Harry!..

Sure you know of this site just a couple of them here picked at Random..

tony sayer

Steve Walker wrote on 04/08/2019 :

So that map is probably well out of date, apart from the names?

One of the marked locations I have never spotted a mast, whereas the other local one a T Mobile, on top of our local BT exchange which I remember being installed, is now the operational EE mast?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

tony sayer explained :

I am not clear on what they do, from a users perspective there is not much information and a lot of out of date information like the map I linked to.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

It doesn't work.

The networks are sized for the numbers of subscribers they have. In a universal roaming situation, everyone who can't get on their home network will try to pick the strongest/closest base station. That means the mast becomes overloaded and drops off the network, meaning all the phones now seek out for the next strongest mast. Rinse and repeat. Result is that all the base stations are knocked out - and the signal is worse for everyone, not better.

To fix that would mean speccing base stations to take 4x the capacity they currently have (in case subscribers from all the other networks roam to it). Which costs more, and is more expensive than the other networks building their own infrastructure on the same mast (and mast-sharing already happens anyway).

Wifi calling is just a tunnel from the phone to the carrier. It isn't clear that the complexity in wifi calling is less than the complexity of the LTE network - and now the networks have to maintain two networks with capacity to carry all their subscribers, not one.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I?ve found the map very unhelpful. I think mast positions are considered too ?commercially sensitive? to share with the hoi polloi these days.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Nope, it just reject new connection requests.

Doesn?t work like that.

Doesn?t happen.

Or that.

Reply to
Swer

I don't doubt it.

The coverage claims of the various operators can be somewhat 'optimistic' based on comments I've heard from various people. We were given a 'pico node' when, despite claims to the contrary by our provider, I demonstrated we didn't have coverage at our house. They've since made changes and we have good coverage.

Reply to
Brian Reay

What made it worse, was the the park is home to a number of companies (with employees numbering in the thousands) with much of their work done for another location with thousands there too. People move back and forth for meetings or even for months at a time for site work. For a couple of years EE (and only EE) worked at site, while it wouldn't work at all at the other office base!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker