Dodgy flooring

I have a corridor with a sand/cement screed that is completely f***d up. It was laid without enough cement or water and is now breaking up.

The carpet was (glued?) directly to the screed.

To minimise disruption I would like to: -

Lift carpet Make good obvious holes Cover with floor leveling compound Put down exterior ply layer Relay carpet

Any thoughts on this process?

I am wary about lifting all screed, because of disruption and likely hood of damaging dpm and or polystyrene insulating slabs.

Reply to
richard

Cheaper method would be.

Lift carpet Put down exterior ply layer Relay carpet

Plywood will be enough to level and cover the floor on its own I think.

Reply to
BigWallop

Ah. One thing to say here, if you don't want to lift out the crumbling mess that was the screed and replace, which is the best option.

Get a shitload of PVA and dilute it 50:50 - really quite strong and pioyer it over all the crumbling mess.

Its expensive, but it WILL stablise the mess. I have actually glued a cracked slab of screed in place with it.

Once the crumbly mess is sorted, fix biggest cracks with mortar, then go for levelling compond. Be aware that levelling compund doesn't level though :-)

However it may be cheaper to lift the lot and get it rescscreeded professionally.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

By putting down exterior ply on the top you will hear/feel crunching every time you walk on it as I do at a friend's house.

Reply to
Pinot Grigio

not if you glue it down. And that same glue can bind the junk together. PVA or other glue diluted can do a remarkable job of sticking disintegrating things back together.

NT

Reply to
bigcat