Do You Use A Bleed Screw Like This?

If so be warned .

Recently I noticed that this bleed screw had a slight weep but as I was intending doing some work on a couple of rads I wasn't unduly worried as I'd be doing it when the weather warmed a bit . This morning I went to wash some dishes and the hot water wasn't.I glanced at the boiler and the red lights were flashing .Puzzled I topped it up but almost immediately it failed again .For some reason I went in to the living room and noticed a hissing noise and the rad with this bleed screw was peeing water from the bleed screw. After a moments panic I got the flow stopped and wiped up the mess. I have no idea how long this had been going on ....I haven't yet spoken to the tenants in the flat below . What I found when I removed the bleed screw was that it seems to be made with some sort of fibre material inside .If you look at the picture the brass part screws in to the rad and the chrome part screws in to it...the bit on the right opens and closes the bleed part and the air escapes through the holes you can see .Looking in to these holes you can see this fibrous material as it moves when you open and close the bleed screw . It appears in the failed one that this material has gone completely ...there is none of it to be seen ...hence the leak. So if you use any of these have a look at them .

-------------- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

Yeah all the bleed screws are going to fail

what a shit tip the flat is or maybe you always live like that being that you live alone

Reply to
molley222

is that the little lamp in the picture you got from ebay for three quid and negged the selller

this one ?

molley222