Cultivator engine decoke query

Five minutes left to do the back garden and the engine died ! Absolutely no compression and the engine just rolling over and over on the starter cord.

So off with its head (!) and there's the inlet valve with a lump of muck stopping it closing, and quite a lot of muck all round. Not that surprising considering that the machine (Landmaster 100) is seriously old and has to have its oil topped up after each use, but it goes and until today went well.

Anyway to the point ! It's I believe a Briggs and Stratton engine - the cylinder head came off cleanly and judging by the missing washers may have been off before. The query is do I need to use gasket goo when replacing it - the gasket is in good condition. I guess this is a genuine B & S engine not one of the modern Chinese clones.

I was amused to see that the speed regulator works off a blade in the cooling air flow - crude but obviously adequate.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I've got one of those! Give me your starting mechanism!

It wouldn't hurt to use a thin smear of gasket goo, but I didn't bother with mine.

Here's a bunch of manuals that someone posted... somewhere...

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Thanks Si, for the request (refused!, sorry), the advise on gasket goo

- accepted - and the link.

Cheers Rob link

Reply to
Rob G

Si - there's a suitable engine on Ebay at the moment. Pick up only from far too far from Edinburgh.

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

The one in Suffolk? It's 'only' 55 miles from me, but... hmmmm...

Why don't people think they can post things like that? S'not like they're that heavy.

Thanks anyway.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

antything over 35kg cant be posted or couriered. Its a door to door and a truck with a lift.., and at 35kg that's near enough 30 quid to post. And special crating.

Cheaper to pickup.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What's wrong with 100 miles - I've just done 160 for a collection; fifteen quids worth of diesel.

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

49mpg... pretty good but that will be less than 50% of the real cost of that journey. Don't for get the insurance, tax, MOT, maintenance/repairs and depreciation...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Marginal vs fixed cost is more complicated than that. If you've got the car for other uses, then the additional cost to you is the pertinent thing - ie insurance, tax, MOT aren't relevant, and maintenance/repairs and depreciation less than full cost.

OTOH if you're eg running a bigger car for the occasional shifting job, then in some ways it ought to be costed the other way round - ie load the additional depreciation etc onto those shifting jobs you want the bigger car for.

All nasty and complicated, so I just avoid it by running a car which has no depreciation left which leaves fuel as the dominant cost :-)

Reply to
Clive George

CBA.

HTH.