Do not do this

The walls in our hall were again painted white (over wallpaper) about four years using decent emulsion. We do not smoke. Today I thought the walls were looking a bit grotty so I gripped a bottle of Domestos and a nice clean wet cloth. It turned into a right mess, bright patches, dirty looking patches and flakes of paint everywhere. I'll be painting over it tomorrow.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Has Mrs Pounder kicked off yet? Or is she just saying nothing for the moment and just giving you "that look":-).

Reply to
ARW

None of the above. Why do you ask?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Get the paper off first. Do a proper job this time.

Reply to
harry

Leave it at least three days. Been there in my youth. The paint comes off or stays tacky. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Next time use an oil-based paint, or washeable vinyl paint.

And don't use bleach to clean it. That's what sugar soap is for.

Reply to
Andrew

When I finally got round to removing the painted, woodchip paper from my hall and stairs I realised that I could carefully peel the whole lot off, complete with the original underlying paint leaving nice clean original plaster and no nicks and dings from scraping.

Reply to
Andrew

Oil based emulsion?

I knew that but did not have any. Still, it only took me a couple of hours to paint it. This has highlighted the dirt on the front door and the plastic trim stuff which I have not noticed. Tomorrow .......

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Why would anyone do this ?

Why would you want your hall smelling like a lavatory or a swimming pool ?

What was wrong with a bit of washing up liquid in water in a bowl ?

What is there on the walls of your hall that dilute washing up liquid and a bit of elbow grease won't shift ?

michael adams

michael adams

Bleach smells very clean to my snout. I don't think that bleach is used in a swimming pool.

That does not work very well, I've tried it in the past. Obviously you have not? Or do I have higher standards than you?

Not very much, but I do have very high standards.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Mrs Pounder!

Reply to