Exterior Painting Problems

My painter, spray painted over 7 windows that had not been scraped or sanded. Now I am unsure about how to handle. I am guessing that the new paint needs to be removed completely and then the windows need to be scraped, sanded and primed and repainted? I would like to know how to best handle to ensure that the new team does it correctly. Additionally they painted the doors and shutters in a gloss with brush strokes in every direction and the strokes really show. : ( Their intent from there was to roll over the shutter and they say that the strokes will not show? I am really flustered. I need precise advice on to handle please.

Reply to
Susan Wingard

My painter, spray painted over 7 windows that had not been scraped or sanded. Now I am unsure about how to handle. I am guessing that the new paint needs to be removed completely and then the windows need to be scraped, sanded and primed and repainted? I would like to know how to best handle to ensure that the new team does it correctly. Additionally they painted the doors and shutters in a gloss with brush strokes in every direction and the strokes really show. : ( Their intent from there was to roll over the shutter and they say that the strokes will not show? I am really flustered. I need precise advice on to handle please.

Reply to
Susan Wingard

Did it have loose paint that required it to be scraped and sanded? If there is no loose, peeling paint, then just pressure washing it is sufficient.

I would like to know how to best handle to ensure that

If it's limited to a couple spots that had peeling paint, then maybe you can get away just scraping those, spot painting them, then another coat over the whole thing. If it's more extensive, then probably the only sure method is to strip it all. For example if there is a lot of loose paint, it was dirty and not power washed and they put paint over it, you have a real mess. Even the non-peeling areas, if they were dirty, the paint may not adhere well and come off in a year or two. On the other hand if there was no visible dirt, while it should have been power washed before painting, you might get away with it.

Additionally they painted the doors and

If it has brush strokes I doubt rolling over it is going to make them go away. Seems like they brushed what should have been sprayed and vice versa. Window trim is typically brushed. Shutters, I'd spray. If it was decent paint, a decent brush, and a decent painter, the brush strokes should not be that noticeable. Once it has brush strokes I think you're probably going to have to sand it to get rid of them.

For exterior doors, I like Minwax Gelstain, which gives a wood grain like look to any wood or even fiberglass door. That leaves brush marks but they wind up looking like woodgrain. It might be an option to consider. You put a coat of paint that is a color similar to raw wood on first, then the gelstain, then a couple coats of spar urethane. All depends what you want it to look like and how much work you want to do.

Reply to
trader_4

Let me guess, your "painters" work cheaper if you pay in cash, right?

Obviously you hired some cash-hacks.  Next time, hire a real paint company.  They're worth every cent!

Reply to
Bill