Q about painting / removing outdoor shutters .. help!

We have two downstairs windows that have sets of aluminum shutters (painted) beside the windows.

Photo:

...anyway, looking at them, each one is secured to the brick by 6 normal screws. I am unsure whether these screw directly into the brick or if there are some kind of sleeves that were inserted for them to screw into, inside the brick. I am wondering if it's a bad idea to remove these shutters for painting. I can handle brush painting them, but it would seem that a nicer look would come from using a compressed air spray system to paint them - BUT we are also painting the front door the same color and it was just painted on the inside-side white, so it would seem that spraying it would likely taint the white side, so a brush is more feasable there. Unwise to try and match color on sprayed items and brushed items, perhaps...?

Is brushing the shutters going to look terrible? thanks.

bp

Reply to
Blake Patterson

clipped

You can mask the white side of the door to keep spray off it. If sanded, and then brushed with a good brush, the difference should not be noticed. I found a great little gadget, by accident, when I was getting ready to paint louvered closet doors (arghhhhh!). There are kits, with compressed aerosol cans and a jar for your own paint. Found 'em at home depot. Have to thin paint (alkyd) with penetrol. Worked like a charm. For drips, I kept a small foam brush, damp with mineral spirits, to get the drips before they dried. The spray pattern is narrow and pretty easy to control. Leveled out nicely. Took the doors outside to do it. I've never used a compressor, but seemed easier than fooling with one for a fairly small project. I sprayed the louvers and edges, did the frame with brush. Got into the spaces between slats and the edges of them very nicely. The previous paint job was lousy, lots of globbies and drips - had them upside down, apparently, when they were painted before. I did primer and paint with the little sprayer, after slicing off the globbies and sanding.

Reply to
RamblinOn