Bathroom painting help please

I have a bathroom in my basement. There are no windows in the bathroom, but I have a 110 cfm fan. I have sanded, primed and painted the drywall ceiling above the shower 3 times and each time the paint has cracked and peeled. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Remi

Did you remove all the previous paint in your sanding process?

What type of primer and paint did you use?

How good is the fan working?

Reply to
scott21230

There is a mildew proof paint made specifically for bathrooms. Comes in white, but can be tinted also, I believe. Have you tried that? Prep is everything..

Reply to
professorpaul

Take down the drywall, put up cement board, and tile the ceiling.

Reply to
Goedjn

Thanks for your suggestions. Here are answers to your questions:

Yes I removed all of the previous paint. I used an all purpose Behr primer. I used Behr latex paint.

Yes the fan is working fine. It's a brand new Panasonic 110 cfm fan -- the room isn't that big so the fan is plenty.

Mildew isn't the problem. It's the paint bubbling and peeling.

Removing the drywall isn't an option -- too much work and too expensive . I know how to paint, but I'd have to hire someone to remove the drywall and install new cement board.

Reply to
Remi

Professorpaul gave you the correct answer if your plan is to stay with paint.

Reply to
NickySantoro

"Remi" wrote in news:hfPZh.151225$6m4.123066@pd7urf1no:

First...just for the heck of it, have you checked the fan exhaust to make sure it is venting out of the bathroom? You know, like maybe some birds/animals have the pipe blocked.

Have you tried using OIL BASE primer with latex over. Or better yet oil base primer & paint? That is how you seal a wall that has had wallpaper painted over. The latex paint bubbles if it's not over oil base.

Just a thought. See if others think this may be a good approach.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Remember, for the fan to blow air out, it has to be able to suck air in. Leave the door open a couple of inches.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Your problem is the drywall, so being in denial about it won't solve the problem. First of all, drywall work isn't any harder than painting. Secondly, you probably have the wrong kind of drywall over the shower. It should have been green board. Cement board is nice, but may be overkill. Just put up the water resistant green board or similar, use a setting type mud and fiberglass tape, sand smooth and paint and enjoy the result. Get some quotes on the work if you're too busy to DIY and IMO you'll find it isn't all that pricey. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Well, if you're not willing to do anyt of the the things that will fix the problem, then I'd say buy a sheet of that plastic shower-liner material at the borg store, and glue that to the ceiling.

Reply to
Goedjn

How long are you waiting after painting before using the shower? If you want to go "by the book", it takes the paint 14 days to fully cure.

Also, a better brand of paint might help.

-- John

Reply to
John Ross

I too use to think having a fan was good, however, I found that it had to run afterward too. So I installed a timer, and let the fan run about 15 mins after showers/baths. This about eliminated all moisture related issues.

tom @

Just Joshin