Do any of the sheds still stock Spur shelving brackets?

Last time I needed a few brackets for Spur double-slot shelving I found them a bit thin on the ground in the big DIY places - anyone know which, if any, of the big sheds still stock them? I know there are some on ebay but only need a couple so ship cost is a bit high.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

bit thin on the

still stock them?

Apparently Spur themselves (I almost typed 'themshelves'!) went out of business some time ago (or at least stopped doing shelving) - several other manufacturers are doing replicas, so shop about.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

them a bit thin on the

sheds still stock them?

Wickes do an equivalent, as do Screwfix at a slightly cheaper price if you can get up to minimum order. Compatibility with real Spur is one way only due to the uprights being a bit shallower in depth - so new shelf brackets work with Spur uprights, but real Spur brackets bind in new uprights. This applies to Wickes and Screwfix - don't know if anyone else is making a closer duplicate to old Spur uprights. None of it is quite as good as older real Spur - which started life as a shop fittings system - but a lot better than alu systems

Charles F

Reply to
CJF

bit thin on the

still stock them?

1 What size do you need?

2 How many do you need?

3 Do they need to be in perfect condition?

Let us know, I have a few in the garage that have no obvious future. They are all at least a little imperfect - dabs of paint, scratches, maybe worse - but eminently possible to refurb. Could let you have for cost of p&p.

Reply to
Rod

Can be fixed with a quick lick with a file/angle/bench grinder IME (or failing that, on a plasterboard wall - a tap with a hammer!)

These folks are quite reasonable as well:

John Rumm

Last time I looked both B&Q and Homebase. One pain is the colours seem to change weekly. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The B & Q brackets look as if they will fit Spur uprights but they don't. I bought some B&Q brackets but had to take them back. I probably could cut off the excess metal with a hacksaw. I'm just thinking about it, but Spur is being sold on line.

Reply to
Roboprof

Roboprof used his keyboard to write :

Mind you, after 13 years in all likelyhood the factory which made them probably no longer exists.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I thin Spur is still being made using the original tooling. It is standard fitment in all NHS buildings, so someone must be making it.

The look-alike copies are not always interchangeable. One copy is, or was , Element 32 which looks identical but the latters uprights are slightly shallower, so that you cannot fix a spur shelf support unless you fit them first and then screw the upright to the wall !. Either that or carry out some angle griner surgery on the spur shelf supports to grind off a small part of the bit that hooks through the upright.

Reply to
Andrew

Yes well, this is really annoying. One would think that there should be some agreement between makers as everyone will win then. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm pretty sure the Screwfix ones are compatible.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think Spur should have had better patent protection to stop the cheapskate copies in the first place though.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

... or even likelihood....

Reply to
Chris Green

UK patent GB2194134 filed 4 Aug 1987 US patent 6138584 filed 26 Jul 1999, granted 31 Oct 2000.

I think US are 20 years from date of filing, so the patent expired 26 Jul

2019. Which is surprisingly recent.

I thought they were around a lot earlier than that? Maybe they didn't bother with patents for the first few decades and that was the problem?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I have ordered replacement brackets from spurshelving.co.uk and they promptly acknowledged my order. I will add an update when they are due to arrive.

Reply to
Roboprof

Graham Nye

I called Spur and they said they were having trouble with their machines and their powder coating company. I waited a bit longer but now having waited for 3 weeks I decided to modify the very similar looking B&Q brackets with a hacksaw. This just took a few minutes. They now fit well. I requested a refund.

Reply to
Roboprof