Solaar screen question

We have three double windows in our house in which the summer sun hits directly and a good deal of heat is transferred into the house even through the insulated windows.

I am considering putting in solar screens to reduce the heat and AC requirement.

A couple phone calls for ball park cost is between $300 & $450. Each double window is 5' 5" wide by 6' high. The cost seems a bit high for screens but I've no experience with screens and don't know anyone who has them.

Does this seem like a reasonable cost? Do they significantly reduce inside heat? Are there any disadvantages to them?

Thanks for you opinions.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob-tx

Solar windows (sealed double-pane units, coated with transparent titanium or similar metal) as sold in Ontario, Canada, come in two varieties, to retain interior winter heat or exclude exterior summer heat, although both have both functions. These panes also block radio waves (as used by cell phones and WiFi) but radio passes through most wall materials OK.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

We installed window quilts circa 1973. Love them. Worth a search.

Reply to
Bill who putters

You can get argon insulated panes without metal coating to reflect heat. Winter windows should NOT have reflective coatings on southern side if you want heat in, but opposite in summer. You can even attach contact window screen, similar to the type they used to use on auto's in the 70's with reflective metal. They don't hold up well over time. Ideally you want simple pull down blinds used as screens, that way you can control things better and is most cost effective.

There is also weaved material that you can put on the outside or inside of the house that blocks light and or IR.

Reply to
zek