DIYWiki

what has happened to the DIY wiki seems to be permanently offline?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

This?

Richard

That is a really old version - I think he means this one:

John Rumm mentioned it was down a little while ago, not sure what's happening...

Reply to
jkn

Na, its just having a rest - it will be back.

(it was sharing server space with a commercial app that was having capacity problems, so we needed to strip back the load on that server. Once that is stable (enough) we can find an appropriate place to re-host the wiki)

Reply to
John Rumm

Does it get a lot of traffic?

Reply to
GB

It gets a moderate amount, plus a huge number of web crawlers and indexers. Its main problem is it has a fairly high memory footprint - especially if you have a few add-ons like the math module and the visual editor installed as we do. (Plus its not too clever with its SQL table joins - so that can push up the memory requirement for MySQL as well).

Reply to
John Rumm

Can't you add a 'Captur' arrangement to block out the indexers ?.

Reply to
Andrew

That would mean it doesn't get indexed :(

And we do want it to be accessible to people using assistive technology.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Probably could - although the bandwidth requirements are not so much of a problem, even if they are a significant part of the sites total consumption.

Reply to
John Rumm