diy trolley for heavy amp!

have lots of wheels that may suit.

Alternatively, wander round a large DIY store, looking for stuff that might work.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

A search under Dexion should find the parts you are after.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I made something similar to this by making a wooden frame using

100x50mm timber, lap jointed and glued and screwed at the corners and then a piece of 18mm ply on the top.

I bought some industrial castors from RS Components (but only because I was ordering some other stuff. They are pretty widely available.

I have moved around items weighing 100kg on this, so it would handle the 50kg that you are looking for easily.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'd like to make a trolley to move a rather heavy (100lbs) bass guitar amplifier around. The footprint is 24" x 14". I had in mind a beefy chipboard base in a Dexian(sp) or aluminium angle frame with 4 spring-loaded or rubber wheels at the corners. I'm ok with the chipboard! - but trouble is where to get the Dexian/al angle and wheels? Any supplier details appreciated - as are there any better suggestion (for the trolly that is :-) )

Reply to
dave

Just a lump of board the same size as the amp or perhaps 1/2" bigger all round to take the knocks and four beefy castors. For the board I'd be more inclined to use 18mm ply rather than chip and castors with soft wheels about 3" dia, preferably with brakes so it doesn't roll off a non-flat stage. B-)

Bigger sheds, such as B&Q Warehouses do big casters but not sure if any have brakes.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Why not just bolt the wheels Maplin sell for this purpose directly onto the amp which I assume at that weight includes the speakers.

Though not if it's an Orange !!

Reply to
G&M

The last time I bought Dexion, there was a MOQ of several lengths. Consider salvaging old angle iron from a bedstead instead. Also consider heavy duty plywood which will be much more durable than chipboard especially if it ever gets wet!!

Whereabouts are you? I might well have some dexion lurking in the garage.

bobdotminchinatntlworlddotcom

Regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Andy Hall rocking out in front of his bass amp? Can't picture it somehow.

Reply to
Toby

dave wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There was a very good construction material we useter use, it was square section tube with corner, angle bits etc.

WE made bespoke monitor, tape m/c trolleys with it, but I'm buggered if I can remember the name.

Perhaps someone can (cue Plowman..)

Oh, I got it - speedframe

mike ring

Thames used welded square tube - but then they had pretty decent workshops.

Yup - I made some stands for Spendor BC1s using the satin chrome version of this.

I'd say it's a bit expensive for a transporting trolley - it's really as it is to look good. Ordinary Dexion would be good enough - and stronger. The Speedframe might seperate at the joints as it's only a tight push fit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Neither can I :-)

Moving machinery around?....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

What about something like....

Andrew May

Only if Makita branched out into guitars :-)

Reply to
Steve

Given the way all Japanese companies are grouped into larger conglomerates, you'll probably find a sister company is.

Reply to
G&M

exactly. But I'd make it more than 1/2" bigger, thats not enough to offer any protection, and may be lost in time from rough handling. 2-3 inches maybe. And definitely radius the corners.

G&M said:

Indeed - though the trolley could be used for lots of other kit too.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

G&M said:

Indeed - though the trolley could be used for lots of other kit too.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

"Steve" wrote | "Andy Hall" wrote | > >Andy Hall rocking out in front of his bass amp? | > >Can't picture it somehow. | Only if Makita branched out into guitars :-)

Hey Makita you're my drill In your little corner of the shed You could drill through all my walls And never need recharging all the day

Oh I saw you drill the wall Ten of your torque settings all correct With chuck that held the bit so firm The chuck key a captive on the cord.

Oh Makita you'll know everything about my home I?ll always know how good it feels to hold you Makita I need you so My Makita never wavers over any given line Drilling ten long deep holes in a row Oh yes, Makita you will always know

Oh how I always dream of thee Do I ever count the big holes that you drill When I coil your power wire Makita so I count your bits are right

And if there comes a time Guns and gates no longer hold me in And if I'm free to make a choice I'll buy a chop saw as your friend

(With apologies to Elton John / Bernie Taupin)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:37:15 +0100, "Owain" strung together this:

Erm too much spare time Owain!

Reply to
Lurch

sells everything you need to make pro flightcases for band equipment

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Lurch" wrote | "Owain" strung together this: | >Hey Makita you're my drill | >In your little corner of the shed | >You could drill through all my walls | >And never need recharging all the day .... | >And if there comes a time | >Guns and gates no longer hold me in | >And if I'm free to make a choice | >I'll buy a chop saw as your friend | Erm too much spare time Owain!

It took hardly any time to do, and I'd only have been watching telly if I wasn't usenetting.

Owain

Reply to
Owain