DIY Trench radiator?

I've got a space below a breakfast bar where I quite fancy putting a trench radiator. I'm not planning on adding forced convection with a fan, just a passive radiator. (I think it might warm up the "knee space" nicely).

Anyhow, they look a bit pricey and I wondered if I could do anything myself with a few (say 4 to 6) lengths of 15mm copper pipe. Clearly standard pipe isn't too clever for radiating heat so I was wondering if there was any easy DIY way of adding finning. Alternatively I suppose I could use heaps of microbore but I've never played with that.

The trench would be about 2m long and I'd be happy to use any sort of off-the-peg grill although I might DIY that too with some slats.

Any suggestions for finning and/or grill?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Yes. Look at car oil coolers and auxiliary radiators.

Ok theu are NORMALLY meant for blown applications, but even unblown you get a lot of surface area in a small space.

If you have a local scrappy go looking for either small cars, or some performance stuff that has these. Maany are meant for oil, but they are still copper and can be soldered to conventional piping.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

================================== A new use for an old idea:

Cicero

Hardly worth trying to make your own at =A346/mtr.

Reply to
1501

================================== Hardly going to break the bank for a couple of metres!

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Fabulous.

Stuff like that is so useful to know that it EXISTS never mind where to get it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bet they'd have gone down well in France 1914-18.

Reply to
Rod

It was mainly BELGIUM actually..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think my reading has focussed mainly on France for various reasons - but I think you are quite right.

Reply to
Rod

Flanders mostly

in fact