DIY Sous-vide controller

I Was Told one had a hay box lined with a sewn fabric lining, with a cylindrical hole to put the pot in. Sounds posh.

One could buy a Swiss Army surplus thermobox, , though I have been informed I don't need one and that the shed is full.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

The extended time and precise control of temperature make a very considerable difference to many foods and the results are well worth the extra effort.

Most sous vide cooking is at 55 to 65 degC it isn't just temperature but also the pasteurisation time which matters.

explains it well.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Any particular examples that you would like to share? (Genuinely interested).

Good link. I've usually been cooking at 60 C for 4 to 8 hours.

Reply to
newshound

I want one!

Reply to
newshound

There's a burner that goes with it.

and a stand:

Petrol pressure burner, reportedly about 40 kW. Wooden box with spares, wrenches, cleaning kit, ....

Do you still want one? :-)

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

You don't *have* to go the cabinet-built mahogany and custom-made kettle route. A stout cardboard box, offcuts of 100mm PIR and a foam gun will see you right. IMLE hardest thing was getting a good seal on the lid - but 4 bricks on top made a big difference.

But stick with the mahogany if you want to be allowed to bring it into the house - or to impress your guests at lunch during the shoot on your estate ;)

Reply to
Robin

I stopped reading at this nonsense;

"Note that salmon doesn't cook at temperatures above the pasteurization point (130°F),"

Reply to
Huge

As I have eaten (and can buy and use) salmon used for making sushi, I see no problem in that.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

vide-salmon.html

In a quick google about sous-vide, one site suggested that fish doesn't really come out too well ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The "problem" is that it's nonsense.

Reply to
Huge

That's not the same as "doesn't cook".

Reply to
Huge

Fair point.

They also flagged chicken up as "not worth it". Apparently the inside - despite being perfectly cooked - is alarmingly pink.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

[gag]
Reply to
Huge

Anything which requires long conventional cooking - so something like Flank Steak which is tasty but tough comes out more tasty and not at all tough. Stewing steak done in Sous Vide (SV) comes out tender but with no loss of flavour. You can make things like steak and kidney pie or stew in a much shorter time by using SV meat instead of cooking for several hours and again the flavour is much better.

Chicken thighs keep their flavour but are more like breast in consistency. Lamb is superb. Ham done sous vide is much nicer than the conventional boiling and oven cooking.

As well as improved flavour and consistency it is excellent for making meals quickly. The meat is SV cooked and frozen - when you want to defrost it for use it will defrost quickly in the SV water bath and as its already cooked final preparation is much quicker (its great advantage for Chefs in commercial kitchens).

Reply to
Peter Parry

Ideally there's something to circulate or stir the water as well, keeping it more even throughout than relying on convection. But plenty of DIY projects don't bother. (And for short cooking times, just a well insulated container and no heating can be good enough.)

Alan Braggins