Curtain rails into concrete lintels

This weekend I was tasked with the job of a curtain rail.

Having attempted said challenge previously and failed due to being unable to drill holes in lintel and not knowing if there was steel involved as SDS bit would bounce and wonder I decided to try a 3mm HSS bit first off.

It didn't penetrate and no swarf was evident so presumed concrete and went back to the SDS bit to find the small HSS drill bit had made enough of a recess/dimple in the lintel to keep SDS bit exactly on the right spot and able to drill the perfect hole with ease.

First time ever I've managed to put up a curtain with so many holes all drilled in exactly the right location.

No longer shall this task haunt me. :)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

replying to

Iggy wrote: Wonderful. And yes, drilling metal is always best, easiest and fastest done with a small pilot hole, preferably drilled all of the way through. This, is because the actual knife edges or cutters of the drill tip on a large drill bit don't bite-in enough nor easily at the point. Thus, clearing the point area with a much smaller bit (broader than the large bit's point) allows the large bit's cutters to dig right in almost effortlessly.

Reply to
Iggy

I don't fancy that idea

Bill