Vacuum sealing seeds

Since I started my square foot garden, I've found that I will be saving seed packets over the course of a couple of years (at least!).

My Tilia Vacuum Sealer extends the shelf like of everything else. Will it extend the life of seeds? Or just suffocate them. Do seeds need air?

A google search was sparse and contradictory.

Thanks!

Reply to
Joe Sandlin

I'd be concerned with physical damage to some seeds, and perhaps the moisture trapped in plastic bags while they're still empty. I posted this a couple of weeks ago - check it out:

up some silica gel packs (the kind you can heat in the oven to dry and reuse) at a gun shop, and you've got yourself a system. Do NOT buy the drying crystals sold in boating supply stores - they're usually not silica gel. The ones I use come in perforated metal boxes about the size of an Altoids tin. They have a clear plastic peephole so you can see when the crystals change color and need to be baked. When I can get to my gun box (later - after my honey wakes up - don't want to make a racket in the bedroom), I'll post the name stamped on the things. You should be able to find them online.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Kanter