DIY PC Repair...?

HI All Anybody here know anything about fixing 'dead' PCs - or maybe suggest an appropriate newsgroup where I can ask this question.
Thanks Adrian Suffolk UK
Adrian wrote:

uk.comp.homebuilt
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

We might be able to help - how dead is dead ?
Any error messages ? beeps ? nothing but a black screen and no lights ?
On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 23:01:04 +0100, Adrian wrote:

You had a thunder storm as well?
Kids computer now refuses to POST let alone boot. All power lines are present and correct, it'll power up/down fine, HD spins up but nothing else happens. B-(
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

have you checked the voltage of the cmos battery? May be all it needs. May be various other probs too, eg a faulty pci/isa/agp card.
NT
in 546896 20060706 085906 snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

Also, most modern mother-boards have 4 or 5 LEDs which display the stages of the boot process.

I had a similar problem recently, the PC would sometimes crash and then not POST - would always have to fiddle inside it. Eventually tracked it down to a dodgy video card - sometimes the fan on the card wouldn't power up (probably a dodgy power connector) and this stopped the machine in it's tracks (presumably an anti-overheating strategy)
--
Chris French

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Almost certainly a peripheral chip gone.
New motherboard time probly. If its recent the RAM and CPU chips may be reusable.
On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 23:01:04 +0100, Adrian wrote:

uk.comp.homebuilt. Lot of very good people on there.
Dave
gort wrote:

Dell 199 ish special base unit is probably best option HTH Phil

Err thanks Phil, but I build my own!!!!!
Dave
gort wrote:

Dell 199 ish special base unit is probably best option HTH Phil
Hi Folks
gort wrote:

Thanks all I'll ask over in 'homebuilt'...
Adrian

Hi,
If a certain age mobo, something else to check is the caps:
<http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30328/article.html
cheers, Pete.
You could try alt.computer

uk.comp.homebuilt