DIY of sorts: roadside animal euthanasia

Encountered a badly injured deer (Muntjack, or perhaps a young regular one) by the side of the road this evening. There was a car already pulled up by
it and the critter looked in a bad way (lots of blood around hindquarters, including via back passage, bone visible, skin loss etc.). I was on the op posite side of the road, but did a U turn, to head back to appraise and if necessary, offer to finish it off. I cant bear to see a badly injured anima l suffer a prolonged death.
By the time I got back to the scene, a couple of 20-odd year old lads had s topped, with one cradling/stroking the twitching critter. The chap whose ca r had hit it was also there, at a bit of a distance.
I offered my view that the animal was surely done for and suffering badly, so the best thing would be to finish it off with a wrench or tyre iron. You ng fellas did not like that idea and implied that I would be subject to som e aggro if I attempted such. I'm not shy to get stuck in when circumstances require it, but I didn't think that hastening the inevitable demise of a d eer warranted it (wife in car, also, being an additional incentive to not s tart aggro).
In the end, after explaining that the animal was clearly done for and that it should be put out of its misery (to which the reply was (broad Yorkshire ) "'ow would you know?",I drove off.
Feeling a little guilty, now, leaving a dying critter twitching in pain. Wh at would others here have done?
The bloke who hit the thing was in agreement that it should be finished off .
Bill.
On Sunday, 17 May 2020 20:42:04 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

[...]

ff.

Many, many years ago I hit a deer - despite going slowly enough to have mis sed others. I stopped, got out and amazingly enough the local "gamekeeper" chap responsible for them was yards away. He came, checked, decided it was hopeless, and very gently cut an artery its neck. In very little time it ju st stopped living. He had the sharp knife, knew where to cut, and wanted to avoid suffering.
On Mon, 18 May 2020 09:55:43 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

Fuck the car - a deer coming through a windscreen can kill. I guess we're lucky they aren't quite the right height.
I saw a Mythbusters about moose strikes and they are exactly the right height to come off their legs and through the windshield. (And the myth - that you should accelerate into a deer rather than try and stop - was well and truly busted).
Of course in the UK, it's highly unlikely any vehicle will carry a suitable tool for despatching a wounded deer. Guns are out (obviously) and a decent knife too.
It is an interesting question.
On 18/05/2020 11:33, Jethro_uk wrote:

One of our kids had a Swedish girlfriend, apparently in Sweden more road deaths are caused by moose strikes than anything else. They are actually taught which part of the animal to aim at if you can't avoid hitting one (the shoulder, IIRC).
The most efficient method of dispatching a deer-sized animal I ever saw was on a wildlife/travelog program in somewhere like Mongolia or one of the Stans. A tribesman was killing a sheep or goat for the pot, he made an incision under the breast bone with a big sharp knife, reached inside, and pinched the aorta shut. The whole thing took less than two seconds.
I guess a captive bolt gun is about as fast. I've had a few dogs and horses put to sleep, I find it quite distressing the way that some of them fight the initial sedative.
On Mon, 18 May 2020 12:14:18 +0100, newshound wrote:

This is a UK newsgroup. I don't think anyone on this thread could reliably carry something like that without being at risk of a criminal record.
On 18/05/2020 11:33, Jethro_uk wrote:

It's one of the safety tests that Volvo does to all its new cars on test, I believe.

I suspect in certain parts of London, finding a gun and/ or knife in a car is more likely than hitting a deer.
--
https://www.unitedway.org/our-impact/featured-programs/end-human-trafficking

On Mon, 18 May 2020 12:56:02 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

True that.

That’s bullshit with the jack and a sharp knife.

You don’t need a decent knife to bleed a deer, just a sharp one.

On 18/05/20 09:55, Martin Brown wrote:

Nearly 50 years ago my boss appeared at work very shaken. A deer had leapt over a hedge and landed on the bonnet of his Alfa. It then hit the windscreen, fortunately on the passenger side (he was the only occupant). It did so much bodywork damage to the bonnet, one wing, window and door pillar, to say nothing of the broken windscreen, that the car was deemed a write-off.
--

Jeff

On Mon, 18 May 2020 12:47:37 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

When my Dad worked for a main dealer, a customers car was bought in on a low loader with the front n/s wheel completely mangled.
Apparently the customer (and family) had been driving through a safari park (can't have been far from London) and a lion had taken a clear dislike to their car and simply gripped the nsf wheel in it's teeth and was shaking the car from side to side by it. Quite obviously the occupants were terrified, and it took a while for the rangers to sort it out.
(These days they'd have probably been trying to take selfies with it ...)
On 18/05/2020 13:26, Jethro_uk wrote:

Longleat has a Tiger with an attitude who didn't like certain visitors cars. Kate Humble filmed it ripping the front plastic bodywork off a Smart Car and biting right through the drivers side front wing.
The Lions would regularly bite through the tyres of the daily chuck wagon trailer being towed by tractor, so they had to fit heavy rubber skirts around its tyres.
On Mon, 18 May 2020 13:35:16 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Just finished watching the "Nile" episode of "Great Rivers" (catching up in lockdown :) and the damage a hyena did to a trapcam was fearsome.
Mind you I've seen a hyena eat a baby gazelle in two gulps - you could see an outline of a leg through the hyenas belly ...
On Sun, 17 May 2020 12:42:01 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If you (one) have sufficient knowledge to accurately ascertain the likelihood of such an animal either surviving if left (highly unlikely in this case from the sound of it) or not suffering more by being treated, even if it survived ... and if you have sufficient skills to dispatch the animal humanely ... and you are allowed to make such a decision (protected species / livestock / pet etc) then you probably should.
The fact that many couldn't, even though the chances are they are meat eaters is part of the disconnection I would like to see re-connected.
The same people cradling a dying injured animal are then happily having perfectly healthy (if you are lucky) young animals slaughtered by the million every year and not batting an eyelid over it.
It's the same disconnection people apply when they 'throw something away' when they neither know nor care where that place is or drink that lactate of a different species, long after they have themselves weaned?
Cheers, T i m

Oh dear.
The OP showed far more compassion for the welfare of the injured animal than those who use leads which administer electric shocks to dogs.
BTW, are you still eating plants and fruit etc? You do know that kills a living thing, don’t you?
--
https://www.unitedway.org/our-impact/featured-programs/end-human-trafficking

<snip> >

Why don't you go back to goading people on the ukra group Brian, you might get better results with your trolling there?
Cheers, T i m
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com scribeth thus

FWIW I was once told by a serving RSPCA inspector that its very rarely a wild animal such as that will survive, they it seems don't run them to the vets mind you this was a while ago now.
Told me that they kept a humane killer in a locked box in the van for such occasions. Sounds like this one was too far gone from what you described, poor thing!
--
Tony Sayer