DIY NAS. RPi4B?

They are in different locations.

I also use Synology cloud backup to save an encrypted copy on one drive as I have 5TB to play with.

Reply to
dennis

Money I would think.

CPC have 47 2G ones in stock and they are cheaper than most @42.53 free delivery.

Reply to
dennis
<snip>

Ok. Not like the Universal audio masters and copies then. ;-(

'Of one drive'?

I think the cheapest Cloud storage I have used so far is Apples at

97p/m for 50GB or summat (well, that's good for my Mum and her iPad(s) and iPhone). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

I wouldn't have thought a small passive cooler would add much to the cost ... but then it might need something bigger than small if it get's as hot as you imply?

<snip>

Agreed, except people either seem to want the 1G versions for server roles and the 4G for desktop use.

I have the 4G Pi coming from the PiHut (as they were in stock), some uSD cards from CCL and the PSU, case and HDMI cable from CPC (when the last two are in stock). ;-)

I have already downloaded the latest Raspbian image (to my OMV NAS) and unzipped it.

I've also watched a Youtube video re fitting a large passive cooler and that's given me some ideas (a round copper 'heat pipe' and flat finned heatsink that goes though the lid of the case and is held in contact with the chip via a light compression spring trapped between the end of the heatpipe and the lid). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Office 365 home, you get five installations of office and 5TB of onedrive storage for about £50 when amazon have a sale.

Its worth it for the storage and outlook, well for me it is.

Reply to
dennis

dennis

You have a source for that?

You do realise it's an entirely new chip, with a completely redesigned graphics block and different ARM cores?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

There are numerous people who have measured idle temperature and more.

The RPI3 seems to idle at about 40 degrees. General consensus is that the RPI4 idles at 60 degrees or so.

Reply to
Bob Eager
<snip>

I don't really have a use for any of the Office suite (inc Outlook) so it would be less value to me. However, assuming that was £50 /pa for the 5TB, is that still reasonable?

Dropbox looks to be £95pa for 3TB

Box is £96pa plus Vat for 100GB?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Can't view it, HTLM5 issue?

I have seen one where they fit a large (ex FSB) H/S and it seems to work pretty well.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They do not *need* coolong BUT will run faster under heavy CPU use if they are.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which probably wouldn't be the scenario when running a NAS, even when running files flat out.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I'll bend some ears next time I see them.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

<snip>

So, the uHDMI lead(s) arrived from the PiHut this morning and my RPi4B was up and running a few minutes later. ;-)

Using it briefly as a workstation I'm pretty impressed (considering) and it seems to be fairly responsive.

I added CUPS support and the network Ricoh (using the Ricoh supplied PPD file) and watched a bit of full screen Youtube over WiFi with no juddering etc. I used the built in app manager to uninstall all the programming clutter (I'm not a geek FFS! <g>) and added a widget on the top bar to monitor CPU activity and temp.

I couldn't seem to install Teamviewer (I tried both 32/64 .deb versions) but that may be because Buster doesn't support WINE yet?

I'm going to play with the default image viewer app to see if it can do the basic stuff I use Irfanview for (cropping, rotating, re-sizing and de-resing) and check it will play with Whatsapp Web and the like (no reason why it wouldn't but the proof etc).

I bought 4 x 32GB uSD cards so I can easily also try an OMV image to see if I can see what it's like as a NAS.

Re running temp ... it did seem to get 'warm' when just sat on it's shipping box and when playing a Youtube video the temp according to the monitor didn't go above 55 DegC ... I could hold my finger on the chip for about 5 seconds. I've ordered a short length of copper rod and a round / LED (5W) heatsink and have an idea of how to make a spring applied passive cooler that will poke though the case lid.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's true, and apparently it usually doesn't matter.

Incidentally I noticed a bunch of Pi3s in one of our labs. They all have heat sinks on the SoC.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I generally put small heatsinks on my RPi's even if they don't actually need them as I prefer things running cool than hot (even though it may not be 'hot' by the chips standards). ;-)

My 60 x 18mm copper bar arrived today so I'll face one end up on the lathe and just stand it on the SoC with a bit of thermal paste and see what happens.

I know it's mainly going to be just a heat 'sink' in that format but I am interested to see how much it will also radiate / convect.

The idea is to turn all but a few mm down to say 14mm OD to provide a ledge for a compression spring and then thread the end where it will poke though the lid of the case to take a finned cooler. I may 3D print a 'spider' to sit on top of the PCB to ensure the heat pipe bit stays in place.

Given it doesn't generally need any form of sink, this should do the trick. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I think daughter could do with some sort of (RAID1) NAS in her flat but because she's on a PrePaid meter, we want to keep the power consumption down as much as possible. Without using a PC (size, noise, power consumption) and thinking of a Pi4B here (with it's faster USB and Ethernet), might be able to support say two laptop type external USB3 hard drives (duplex) and still be useable?

4TB RAID1 (albeit 'soft' RAID etc) for less than £250 v say a SD218j for around £400?
Reply to
T i m

I bet it's higher than that, depending on how 'old' the hardware was (from my practical measurements of such things).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Depending on the age of the SATA drives, they can be up to about 10W each. Even my relatively modern microservers take about 25W-30W each, plus disks.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hi all,

It looks like there has been a bit of a design issue with the USB-C power port on the RPi4B. ;-(

What irks me in some of these articles is the use of 'charge' instead of 'power'. ;-(

"The Raspberry Pi Foundation has confirmed its brand-new Raspberry Pi

4 Model B has a problem with some USB-C cables failing to charge the little computer. "

Luckily it didn't affect me as I also ordered the genuine power supply and I did that from previous experience, because I don't already have much USB-C stuff and if something should go wrong with the Pi in the future, I can be happy that at least I used the approved PSU. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The SATA drives are probably the newest thing in it. Drives do not last more than about 5-7 years. MoBos last a lot longer .

But you need the drives whatever is driving them - pi or Intel

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher