DIY?

Thought this was a DIY group? Full of politics, so see you around.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
On 13/06/2017 19:15, TMH wrote:

There is always home user hub :)
I wonder how they filter out all the politics in a DIY group?
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

Some DIY took place here today, but not done by me. New kitchen being installed, so the lads were here today, including Roy, who does a good job.
We got a new washing machine put in today, too (nothing to do with the kitchen business). But it did mean Roy was here with his angle grinder to slice a chunk of metal off the stacking kit that fixes under the tumble dryer, so it can stack on top of the new washing machine.
This needed the front flange slicing off because the controls are higher up at the front on the new washer. Roy did this with aplomb, approaching my leg (which was bracing the frame) a bit like that chopper chasing Mr Bond, the one with the rotating blades for doing tree pruning.
Elfin Safety would have had a fit.
--
"Hard" and "Soft" Brexit are code words for Leaving or Staying in the EU,
rather than for the terms of our departure.

[Most definitely on topic]
I think a letter to your MP would suffice, probably not a conservative or DUP one though.
What about a DIY Conservative politians kit
http://www.newsmedianews.com/milligan.php
Suspenders, stockings and bin bag kits could be sold at Wickes and due to its perishable nature, a voucher could be included to get the satsuma at Waitrose.
AB
Well yes but its DIY politics. Incidentally, theese new lawn mowers and strimmers that all use the same rechargable batteries, any good? Brian
--
----- -
On 13/06/2017 20:37, Brian Gaff wrote:

The lawn mower thread suggests that the ones with the higher voltage batteries, 30V to 50V, probably work just as well as their mains power equivalents.
My experience with cheaper machines and lower voltage batteries is that they are OK for fairly light usage and/or small gardens where the grass is always kept relatively short.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On 13/06/2017 19:15, TMH wrote:

Just add a filter to delete all posts with "OT:" in the subject.
--
Reentrant

On 13/06/2017 21:35, LSR wrote:

That wouldn't have deleted this thread.
--
Max Demian

TMH wrote:

Don't go away. You were very good.
On 6/13/2017 9:37 PM, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

+1. Well, plus lots really.
On 6/13/2017 7:15 PM, TMH wrote:

To be fair, the politics is pretty easy to identify and ignore. There's still a lot of good DIY stuff IMHO.
I used to follow a US group that had some very competent postings particularly on metalwork, but it degenerated into ridiculous right wing and gun nut stuff.
On 13/06/2017 19:15, TMH wrote:

Agree - also Noise level, insults & abuse
Ask anything now and seems you just get shot down ........... same few good names ... but a lot of people who just want to flame
On 13/06/2017 19:15, TMH wrote:

Do you mind, I posted some of that last week... and a couple of new wiki articles!
--
Cheers,

John.
On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 19:15:02 +0100, TMH wrote:

And just to think... it all started with Harry just posting the odd thread..
Chris wrote:

It's not as though TMH managed to avoid OT: threads about cyclists or Thanet/UKIP ...
writes

I think you'll find considerable number of DIY threads- well over half when I last did a count. Doesn't your newsreader have a Kill Thread facility?
--
bert

Even if it does not have one, there is no law that says you cannot press down cursor till you get to a subject you like after all. Brian
--
----- -
On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 08:06:26 +0100, "Brian Gaff"

Whilst I'm guilty of being suckered into the Brexit circus chat, I'm with TMH and don't believe most of it belongs here in the first place.
If there was some new EU or UK proposal to limit the rpm of angle-grinders then that might be ... but not really any of the politics behind it.
But there are some here who feel this is just their 'anything goes' blog or twitter feed with little of it ever relating to d-i-y even loosely. ;-(
But then I'm not politically motivated and therefore not a fanatic either so it's unlikely I would (under a no-politics rule) start a political thread, even if there was something 'going on'.
So, IMHO, I can accept that we may have now moved on from 'strict' d-i-y (wallpapering, putting up shelves) to anything we are loosely doing-ourselves but it should still exclude chat about becoming an MP (or priest etc). ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 15/06/2017 11:16, T i m wrote:

It will only be domestic angle grinders anyway and commercial ones are safe.
On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 12:28:40 +0100, dennis@home

;-)
Cheers, T i m