Dishwasher spray - how powerful should it be?

Hi, my Neff dishwasher's not doing a very good job any more. In particular the stuff on the top shelf is hardly being touched. I figured out how to get it to run with the door open and the water spray at the top of the machine is a bit pathetic. There's a spray nozzle ate the very top of the machine and water barely dribbles out of that.

What should I be expecting? Should it be blasting water out all over the place? I noticed that the spray seems to pulse as the puddle of water in the bottom of the dishwasher rises and falls.

My guess is the fill level sensor is cutting in before quite enough water is in the machine. Does that sound likely? What's the easiest way to fix this please?

TIA

P.S. If someone thinks the motor's on the blink then it's probably time for a new washer - the motor's £130!

Reply to
pjlusenet

Run a dishwasher cleaner through it and make sure the top wand is clean internally. They usually pull off for inspection. Clear the filters and check to see if there isn't a hidden filter underneath that traps larger objects and debris

Reply to
RW

I've dismantled and cleaned everything that's inside the machine. To be honest I'd assumed those dishwasher cleaners were a scam. Maybe I'll give one a try.

Thing is, am I flogging a dead horse? The machine is about 10 years old. That's why I was asking how powerful the spray should be.

Reply to
pjlusenet

AH!

10 years....Ours lasted 4½ ! Died with terminal selector knob failure *after* I actually got the fekin wands clear and spinning like a 'copters blades. Won one on Ebay this week, 8 months old, £45.

Go look see.......

Reply to
RW

I used to think the same; however I called out an engineer to fix similar symptoms to what you're describing, and after cleaning out loads of disgusting crud from the furred-up pipework (ie not just the visible filters and wands etc) and sorting it out, he reccomended using thoase 'deep clean' in future. We now do, and don't have a problem any more.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'll try giving the tubes another clean and then try the 'deep clean'.

Actually several years ago it started to leak. I couldn't work out which seal was the problem so lived with it for a while (catching the drips whenever it was used - wife wasn't impressed!) Some time later the leaks stopped - I realised later that something must have reduced the water flow - but it was still cleaning okay.

I figured it had now reached the final stage of deterioration. But I'll give it one last chance.

Reply to
pjlusenet

I find myself wondering how it has become the norm for us to be able to watch our clothes being washed, but not our dishes. Why is this?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

White foamy water sloshing round looks OK.

Greyish/brownish not-very-foamy water with the odd pea, baked bean or bacon rind sloshing around plus a layer of grease on top is deeply unattractive.

Reply to
Rod

An update, in case it helps anyone else.

Tried using a dishwasher cleaner. Helped a bit for the next wash but it still wasn't working well.

I pulled the machine out, removed the left side panel and dismantled the tubing etc.. (this is a Neff by the way) The float, that triggers a micro switch when enough water is in the machine, was covered in grease. Gave it a good clean, re-assembled and the machine now washes like new

It looks like the dirt on the float was stopping the machine from filling properly. This meant as soon as it started to spray the water level dropped and there was no longer enough to pump. I could see/hear this 'pulsing' action before I cleaned it. After cleaning the pulsing no longer happens.

And, in case anyone's interested, the spray now comes several inches higher than the top of the machine (if I have the door open)

Reply to
pjlusenet