Dishwasher Q

The top spray arm is not rotating, there appears to be water comming from the spout at the top of the machine.

I took the arm out and held the funnel under a running tap. The arm did not rotate.

to be a simple enough screw turbine arrangement
can't understand what is wrong, can someone help please?

Reply to
Graham.

The screw thread arrangement is a type of labyrinth seal. The holes in the spray arm provide the reaction jets to turn the arm. Is the grey thrust ring too tight?

Reply to
John

No, even when fully tightened there is about 2mm clearence

Reply to
Graham.

is there enough water pressure coming from the dish washer ?

if you up the pressure from the tap (when testing) will the arm turn ?

Reply to
Exhausted

Hard water deposits binding on the swivel faces? I had that and a bit of rubbing & descaler fixed it

Reply to
Chewbacca

Are the angled hole(s) in the arm obstructed? Does it spin freely by hand?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'm in Manchester, water doesn't come much softer.

Reply to
Graham.

No and yes.

I think the test I did out of the machine was a red herring, probably didn't have the tap on enough, water was going over the kitchen floor as it was.

If I remove the lower arm and block the aperture with a wet rag the upper on starts to turn, suggesting a partially blocked flow. Andrew, what causes the rhythmic whooshing noise when the machine is working normally? I always thought it was the spray arms going round but the machine still makes that sound with both arms removed, so I must be mistaken.

Reply to
Graham.

Exhausted explained on 08/11/2008 :

I would be inclined to temporarily block the flow (if its possible) to the lower arm - to see if the upper one then turns. That would confirm poor flow into the spinners.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'll pull it out and have a closer look tomorrow.

Reply to
Graham.