Basic spraying advice needed please.

Hi All,

I am finding I need to paint the odd bits and bobs and am looking for a mini solution to this.

e.g. A current requirement is to paint some Weller steel wheels that have been shot blasted and zinc coated and because all I need is a simple and durable solution (I'm not too bothered about finish as such) I was considering using a Hammerite (not sure if the wheels are even up to smooth Hammerite). I understand I need to use their 'Special metals primer' and that only comes in tins (not aerosol). (I know the aerosols aren't cheap but if you consider the time / setup / cleaning etc of guns and other kit the cans can work out quicker and cheaper for some jobs).

So, I've got one of the little Bambi silent compressors (like this)

one of the slightly bigger jobbies that sits on it's small cylinder sideways, 7cfm / 9L type thing (with a real compressor pump and motor).

I did get one of those basic spray guns you get bundled with the basic compressors but I've never used it.

So, is there a small compressor driven cheap spray gun (from the likes of Machine Mart) that would actually be useable with these small compressors, even if only for short / small (and often fiddley) jobs please? A 10 spoke steel wheel is very complicated to spray because of it's shape and holes!

I do have an airbrush set but I feel it needs to be slightly bigger than that.

Also, what's the difference between top feed guns and the alternatives please?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m