Air Tools/Compressor/Advice needed....

I am purchasing a new home and have decided to use this opportunity to justify the purchase of a new tool. (Old trick)

My first thought was to buy an air compressor and associated tools. My thought is that I can use a spray gun to paint the interior walls of the house with much less effort than a roller. I can also use a nail gun for molding and other things.

Question: Given my intended use of this particular item, can somebody recommend a size/brand/or other advice related to this? I'm new to air tools in general and would like some advice in this area.

Thanks,

Reply to
Jennk

Find out the air volume needs of the tools you'll be using, then get a compressor that goes a bit beyond that. Tom

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

With nailers, pretty much any compressor will do. For spraying, you need quite a lot more cfm capacity, and you also need to take into consideration the requirements of the spray gun, which will vary quite a bit, for example some guns can run on 4-5 cfm, other guns may require two to three times as much. You'll also need to take into consideration the duty cycle of the compressor. If a compressor puts out 10cfm at a 50% duty cycle (usually rated at max run time per 30 minutes), and you plan to spray continuously over a long period of time, you'd ideally get something that has double the cfm required to run your spray gun.

For spraying thoughout your house, you might want to consider a compressor with wheels for portability. With nailers you can run very long lengths of hose, for spraying a shorter run helps maintain the higher airflow needs for spray guns. A compressor similar to the Porter Cable 6025 would be a good starting point. It's not an industrial quality compressor, but it covers most of the needs of home users. Plus, it's very quiet compared to most.

Latex paints can be tricky to spray because of their high viscosity. Most painters who spray a lot of latex use airless spray guns (very high pressure fluid delivery) or pressure pots, and even then, sometimes thinning is required. If you go with a non-pressurized spray gun, you'll need to get it with a large nozzle set to be able to spray latex. To spray clear coats, lacquers, and other solvent-based paints, you'll need a smaller nozzle set.

I already have a couple of spray guns and a half-assed compressor, but if I was going to spray a house I'd rent a Kremlin or similar airless system. The fluid delivery and fan width are significantly greater than most HVLP conversion spray guns, and airless units typically have a lot less overspray, even compared to the HVLP guns. You could probably do more in one day with an airless than you could in two or three days with an HVLP gun.

You can still justify a spray gun/compressor setup to do all your doors, casing, moldings, etc.

A good resource for spray equipment is

and their forums at
are as knowledgeable as anyone else in spray equipment and techniques. I've dealt with them before and their service is great, their support is very good, and they can customize a setup for you based on your specific needs.

Reply to
mp

consideration

Very good, informative, post that makes you remember why you read the Wrec ... thanks!

Reply to
Swingman

NEVER!

Dam tool manufacturer's keep producing new tools!

or were you talking about the completion of the house....which is REALLY never finished, at least with me there is always that little tweaking to do.

Reply to
Jack Kerouac

I purchased the Ingersoll Rand Model #TS4L5. Why IR? Being the innovators of air technology and seeing all the contractors tow the IR trailers behind them in the city, I figured I couldn't go wrong. And I didn't. For portable operations I also went with IR. I purchased Model #1WF69 twin tank compressor. As a home owner I can use any air tool you throw my way and then some. From running an IR 3/4" drive Impact Gun to a delicate Bostitch headless pin nailer.

Get some!

Reply to
Jack Kerouac

Reply to
Wilson

IMHO, a 2-stage compressor is far superior to a single stage unit.

I have the 5 HP, 2-stage, /w/ an 80 gal vertical receiver.

Very cost effective package that can supply 15 SCFM on a continuous basis which is req'd for the spray equipment I use.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help.

Reply to
Jennk

I recommend using an airless sprayer for house painting. I bought the mid-range unit (Magnum X5, I think) at Home Depot for about $400. It sprays VERY fast -- once a room is properly taped off, you can do the walls and ceiling in a few minutes. And it doesn't require thinning, which most HVLP guns would.

So, hget a sprayer for latex, AND a nice compressor. Once you have the compressor, you'll find all sorts of uses for it.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss