Dishwasher 'sand'

Our Bosch dishwasher is leaving a sort of sandy deposit mainly on the inside of cups and glasses - only on the top deck. It seems to be working OK otherwise. Any idea what this is and how to get rid?

Thx

E.

Reply to
eastender

Check the top rotor is actually turning and unobstructed. Check that the holes where the water comes out of the top rotor aren't blocked with lemon pips. Clean out whatever filters you can find in the sump of the machine. Might be simple as that. I hate it when you get dirty glasses out, really spoils the enjoyment of a good beer to see it has yuck in it.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Check the fine-mesh filter - the one you get to by removing the coarse=20 filter in the sump. If it's falling apart you'll get sludge pumped=20 round, and you're right, it does look "sandy".

Beware - the fine filter has (in our case, and many others) three=20 stripes of plastic embedded in it, to stiffen the mesh. If they start to=20 fall apart the bits get stuck in the flap-valve that allows drain-back=20 from the rotors and worse, in the pump. New meshy-bit is around =A330.

--=20 Skipweasel - never knowingly understood.

Reply to
Skipweasel

For what it is, that's pretty extortionate, unless you take into account the added entertainment value. What entertainment value? Well, you need to listen very carefully, but at the end of the cycle, when it's all gone quiet, you may be able hear the little particles of sand say: "Another fine mesh you've gotten us into".

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Thanks - will check that.

E.

Reply to
eastender

Thanks - didn't realise water came out of the rotor.

I'm paranoid about the dishwasher anyway - I always rinse beer and wine glasses no matter how clean they look.

E.

Reply to
eastender

You must have been waiting a long time to get that joke in. I'm happy to oblige.

E.

Reply to
eastender

My previous Bosch DW used to do this regularly and it was an indicator that a refill of rinse aid was in order. This used to do the trick and was despite the use of allegedly "all-in-one" detergent tablets.

Mark Spice

We've always used Asda or Tescos very cheap DW tablets - =A31.70ish for=20

  1. Provided the filter is kept clean they've never failed to do the=20 job. As for paying ten quid for 33 poncy tablets - that's just daft.

--=20 Skipweasel - never knowingly understood.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Ideally don't wash drinking glasses in a dishwasher - whatever your detergent says about being kind to glass it will eventually etch them and spoil their appearance.

Richard.

Richard Russell

Not in our house - the wife drops them long before they go grey.

Then again, greying is particularly a problem with lead-glass - it happens a lot slower with the cheap stuff.

Reply to
Skipweasel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Ronald Raygun saying something like:

Are you channeling Bob Monkhouse?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Why do you ask? Did he channel Laurel and Hardy?

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

I don't remember it costing anything like that. I believe I ordered BOTH filters though, as a set...but it still wasn't that much. Your Model May Vary.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On a point of order Hardy always said 'another nice mess'. Although there was a film called 'Another fine mess'.

Or so says Wikipedia.

E.

Reply to
eastender

Insoluble stuff like cigarette ash and teal leaf dust tends to be distributed around the dishwasher at the end of the cycle. (The ash trays live in the garden where any visitors smoke)

We take the view that life is too short. If it is good enough for a display cabinet it stays in there. Otherwise it goes through the dishwasher.

We do get through a few (food) steamer spares. Anyone know of a steamer that is really dishwasher safe? The metal baskets of our current Tefal one last but the plastic bits don't seem steam proof, let alone dishwasher proof.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Prestige. It's really a frying pan and stainless steel baskets with removable dividers. It works very well, but I wouldn't use it for rice (I do rice in the microwave).

Reply to
S Viemeister

Why? Our dishwasher works at 65degC, far hotter than the human hand can stand even with Marigolds on. It does a better job of cleaning than a human could ever do - and do you really think the pub washes glasses by hand after they've come out of the glass washer?

Reply to
Pete Zahut

I got the impression he meant before they go in, not when they come out.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Well I didn't read it that way but even if you're right, it still begs the question why?

Reply to
Pete Zahut